Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Chemistry > Toning

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 9th November 2012, 12:23 PM
Friend

Adrian.

You should have bought all that gold toner off me cheap when you were picking up the photo paper from my house

Steve
Old 9th November 2012, 01:02 PM
Friend

I've made my own Gold Toner using Ilford's formula but I had access to Gold Chloride. I still have some 1g ampules and some fine gold to make my own.

It helps that I worked in Precious metal recovery for 16 years

Ian
Old 9th November 2012, 01:21 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Twiss View Post
I have not bought gold toner for a while but when I visited one of our sponsor's websites I was shocked to find it was £65.23 per litre. Another of our sponsors sells the same toner for £44.00 per litre but this could be old inventory and their next consignment may be more expensive.

At these prices its almost more cost effective importing gold chloride from the US and making my own.

When did gold toner get so expensive? I remember paying about £35 per litre when I last bought it. Thank goodness its so stable.

Adrian,

Unfortunately, the price of old toner started to rise dramactically just after the end of 2011. I was lucky at the beginning of the year to be able to pick up a couple of litres before the price reached the price it is now.

The future looks bleak I am afraid with this toner and I can see a lot of people (including me!) taking it off their shopping lists.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 9th November 2012, 06:59 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostlabours View Post
I've made my own Gold Toner using Ilford's formula but I had access to Gold Chloride. I still have some 1g ampules and some fine gold to make my own.

It helps that I worked in Precious metal recovery for 16 years

Ian
Sounds as if it might cheaper to buy from you and still produce a win/win for both parties.

Mike
Old 9th November 2012, 07:30 PM
Friend

Like Ian I used to mix my own gold chloride toners. The one I favoured was the three bath;

Soln. A: thiourea..........3,5g
distilled water..............250ml

Soln.B: citric acid.........3.5g

Soln. C: gold chloride....1g

Use one part of each + 10 parts water.

I still have a couple of 1g ampules and about 50ml of gold chloride solution. And no this is not a hint for me wanting to sell them
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 9th November 2012, 09:52 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
Adrian.

You should have bought all that gold toner off me cheap when you were picking up the photo paper from my house

Steve
You are not wrong. Unfortunately I have let the cat out of the bag. I have not forgotten about the enlarger by the way. I will be in touch very soon.
Old 9th November 2012, 11:02 PM
Friend

its a shame that they don't make fools gold toner.
Old 9th November 2012, 11:28 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by big paul View Post
its a shame that they don't make fools gold toner.
Maybe they do. Setting aside the alleged lack of longevity might not blue toner suitably over-washed to reduce the blue, work to give a blue grey effect?

Comparing a print of mine which was CT Ilford paper with CT Ilford developer to the Dave Miller print which I have already mentioned, it had just a hint of blue-grey while admittedly not fully matching Dave's print.

OK said in jest but might there be ways of getting close to the gold toner effect with other chemicals?

I just don't know enough about toners or chemicals to say, hence what may be a ludicrous suggestion above

Mike
Old 10th November 2012, 09:49 AM
Friend

e
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post

...............OK said in jest but might there be ways of getting close to the gold toner effect with other chemicals?

I just don't know enough about toners or chemicals to say, hence what may be a ludicrous suggestion above

Mike

Mike,

This can be achieved but it is difficult and the result never looks quite the same. The main problem being the iron blue toners available today tone all of the print and affect the highlights and shadows the same. These toners are also very prone to staining if not used correctly. Whereas gold toner is easy to use and it affects mainly the highlights so delicate split tones can be achieved which is why it is such a loved toner. Gold toner also works well with other toners and will produce other tones than blue. It is very effective when used with selenium and thiocarbamide.

There used to be a bleach-back blue toner a few years ago that was much better that the iron based blue toners and split tones could be achieved with it that were far more convincing but alas it is no more. There are formulas available for a bleach-back blue toner but some hard to get chemicals are involved. If the price of gold toner keeps escalating hopefully this will tempt a manufacturer to bring out a bleach-back blue toner at an affordable price

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 10th November 2012, 11:43 AM
Friend

Additionally with iron toners you don't get that nice peachy pink when you combine gold toners with either sulphide or thiourea toners.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies