Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - Large Format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 20th January 2013, 11:06 AM
Friend

Default Build Your Own LF Camera

Hi Guys

Have come across this on the "interweb"

http://home.online.no/~gjon/jgcam.htm

Might possibly be an interesting project. Does anyone know if it has to be made from hardwood and brass or do you think it would be possible to make one out of stained and varnished softwood and aluminium.

I know it will change the look of the camera, but do you think it would still work properly ?

It seems to me that 6mm softwood stripwood is a lot easier to get hold of than 6mm hardwood stripwood, am I right ?

Your opinions welcomed.

Ian
Old 20th January 2013, 11:35 AM
Friend

It may well do until you use it in an enviroment different from which it was created. It will be almost impossible to seal all the surfaces of the wood to prevent them changing dimensions with humidity and what worked well when built will either be too tight or too floppy when used in a different climate/condition. Worst case scenario, the wood will split.

The Aluminium would be fine although even that would be better if anodised.

The amount of hardwood required would not be too excessive and if you want to make a really strong, good looking camera and you can spend the time (as a labour of love) buy some thin pieces of your chosen hardwood (such as sold for marquetry) and laminate them together to create a very nice looking plywood which will have no movement issues at all, this will be very strong and you can make the individual pieces just a little larger than required (easily cut with a craft knife) and then just slowly sand them down to the dimensions required.
Old 20th January 2013, 11:36 AM
Friend

This is an excellent and inspirational website: http://www.raymentkirbycameras.co.uk/

Look through the 'Workshop' section.

I have some plans if you are interested.

Old furniture is a good source of wood. I have used the oak from the back and sides of drawers. It's usually the right thickness too!

Steve.
Old 20th January 2013, 12:10 PM
Friend

I am so tempted to try and build a LF camera. What puts me of is

1: I want a field camera style rather than monorail and plans for these seem to be rare, so if you have any, a copy would be most welcome, I'd cover any costs.

2: What frightens me is the making of bellows, I reckon I can cope with the metal and wood work but bellows making is scary.

I'm afraid my skills would not produce anything as beautiful as the Rayment Kirby cameras but as long as it works.

Pete
Old 20th January 2013, 12:44 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CambsIan View Post
Does anyone know if it has to be made from hardwood and brass or do you think it would be possible to make one out of stained and varnished softwood and aluminium.
The Bulldog is (was?) made from MDF and some builders covered theirs with a thin veneer of exotic timbers. Common garden pine from the likes of B&Q probably wouldn't stand up to the rigours of daily use. If you have the equipment to cut wood, sourcing suitable pieces of (for example) cherry or walnut shouldn't be too difficult - We have a sawmill locally that stocks a number of hardwoods, or you could try mail order (Craft Supplies springs to mind).

Failing that, I can put you in touch with someone that can cut timbers to size for you.

The metalwork can be brass, aluminium, stainless steel, titainium, or what ever takes your fancy - Price and ease of working would be the overriding factors. Brass is often chosen as it is a traditional material as well as being easy to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petemcarthur View Post
What frightens me is the making of bellows, I reckon I can cope with the metal and wood work but bellows making is scary.
Bellows regularly appear on ebay, and from time to time, a seller will pop up offering a custom service - At the moment, there is a Chamonix bellows for $90+p&p which is a lot cheaper than I could make.
Old 20th January 2013, 12:45 PM
Friend

I have recently picked up an old horizontal enlarger... ensign King... which might be of use to someone to cannibalise. It's oak, large format and has ok bellows. Enough stuff to make a 10x8 from if you fancied...?
It would need to be collected though.
Old 20th January 2013, 02:37 PM
Friend

Bellows: http://stevesmithphoto.webs.com/bellows.html

Steve.
Old 20th January 2013, 02:38 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by petemcarthur View Post
I want a field camera style rather than monorail and plans for these seem to be rare, so if you have any, a copy would be most welcome, I'd cover any costs.
Send me your e-mail address in a message and I will send drawing files. Or if you want them on paper, I can do that.

No costs to cover either way.

Steve.
Old 20th January 2013, 03:13 PM
Friend

MDF with a veneer cover, never even thought of that. Maybe that would be worth looking into as a cheap build option.

Will have a trawl round the internet to see what I can find in the way of hardwood suppliers.

Ian
Old 20th January 2013, 03:34 PM
Friend

Quote:
MDF with a veneer cover,
When I have used MDF on construction sites it sucked up the moisture and expanded significantly. I believe there is a moisture resistant MDF which would be better. I would suggest a bit of research for suitable timber, mahogany seems to have been used in the past, beech on the other hand twists and moves in a humid atmosphere.

Tony
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies