Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > Sale or Wanted

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 16th October 2018, 10:09 AM
Friend

Default Adams retouching machine

Hi All

I have an Adams negative retouching machine in London
it runs on 240v

anybody interested in buying it

best

robin
Old 16th October 2018, 11:54 AM
Friend

I had to look this one up as I had never heard of it. Interesting idea of vibrating the negative but I'll let anyone else interested do their own research. There were even videos which unfortunately did not seem to connected to the Adams machine and were about as much use as a chocolate teapot in terms of "how to"

Someone with patience and looking to learn a new skill might well benefit from this machine. I suspect bigger than 35mm negs are almost a sine qua non even for the most skilled retouchers

Mike
Old 16th October 2018, 12:37 PM
Friend

the guy i bought it from was doing portraits on 6x6 and 5x4 negs
the machine vibrates and the technique he showed me involved drawing tiny circles with a soft pencil or just shading larger areas with little lines and let the vibration sort of blur it in
i did make a few sketches and printed them which worked out remarkably well but it would decently be a skill you would need to practice
I never tried on a “good” neg but did tape a piece of clear film to one and worked on that

r
Old 16th October 2018, 01:01 PM
Friend

I've heard of it before but also looked it up again:

https://petapixel.com/2014/10/19/ada...egatives-hand/

It's basically a light box that vibrates the negative put on it, so that the retouched bits by the photographer / retoucher are a lot more random.

And here's a link to a 'before and after' retouched picture of Joan Crawford, from time gone by = amazing!:

https://petapixel.com/2014/10/17/bea...-photoshopped/

Terry S
Old 16th October 2018, 06:21 PM
Friend

Terry and others who may know about such things, I was able to get to the Petapixel link but in the article there are references to others which when I clicked on them simply gave me "About blank". I was especially interested in the animated GIF comparison by 1SweetChuck on reddit but got nowhere. In fact all the links seem to be to reddit and all came up the same.

So the problem would seem to be with reddit but when I googled reddit I got information about reddit. Anyone else experiencing the same?

Thanks

Mike
Old 17th October 2018, 04:48 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Terry and others who may know about such things, I was able to get to the Petapixel link but in the article there are references to others which when I clicked on them simply gave me "About blank". I was especially interested in the animated GIF comparison by 1SweetChuck on reddit but got nowhere. In fact all the links seem to be to reddit and all came up the same.

So the problem would seem to be with reddit but when I googled reddit I got information about reddit. Anyone else experiencing the same?

Thanks

Mike
If you are using a work computer then it is likely your company has blocked the reddit site - many do as it is not a work-friendly place...

If this is your computer then you likely have some child-unfriendly blocking software installed (either on your computer or via an option of your internet provider) as it is also not always a good place for the young and impressionable...
Old 17th October 2018, 10:52 AM
Friend

I'm not a computer tech by any means. Like a lot of things, I can use them but wouldn't know how to start fixing them, but, I do know that ad blockers can be de- / activated, so I wonder if there is some box ticked to stop certain pages / pictures from coming up?

As a thought, here is the direct link to the animated gif. See if this works by itself:

https://petapixel.com/assets/uploads...10/vRNDWjm.gif

Terry S
Old 17th October 2018, 07:16 PM
Friend

Terry, thanks for the link. I had no idea what an animated GIF was and it was less than I was expecting. It simply showed a quick change in the before and after pictures but on Petapixel's site there were both pictures anyway. I had expected some explanation of what was done.

Mind you my naivety in the past might be to blame. I was the kid sending for the "How to play like Hank Marvin in 5 easy lessons" and finding I could only play like Lee Marvin

Bob, thanks for the reddit explanation. I had a feeling it wasn't worthwhile and now I know

Mike
Old 18th October 2018, 01:51 PM
Friend

Quote:
I could only play like Lee Marvin
Could be worse. I can only sing like him. "I was born, under a wandering star....!" The film was Paint your Wagons.
Retouching the negatives is a skill largely made superfluous by dodgital tech. I used to work in the print industry and we had negative retouchers for our plates. They were good, really good, but the skill was required less and less as we went to platemaking without negatives.
Old 6th December 2021, 11:35 PM
Friend

Default Adams

Robin
Just came across this thread
Do you still have the Adams?
Thanks
David
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies