Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Site Forums > Introductions

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 20th February 2020, 10:29 AM
Friend

Default Hi from Kent

Having spent an entire weeks wages on a Canon T70 in the early 90s, I was bitten by the B&W film bug, as time went on and the arrival of digital, my beloved Canon was mothballed. I started at a new school in September last year, and resurrected the forlorn unused darkroom, then came the steepest learning curve...... how to develop and print the film with only vague memories from Uni. I now have a bunch of enthusiastic year12s who now have a love for film that beats digital, I’m slowly converting the rest of my classes which of course justifies my need to acquire more of my own cameras.......that’s what I tell my husband anyway! I have a canon AE1, an Olympus OM10, an Olympus 30, an a Zeiss Ikon Nettar and of course my T70
Old 20th February 2020, 01:10 PM
Friend

Hi Jane and welcome to Fadu,nice to hear that your efforts to get the younger generation interested in analogue photography,The AE1 is a nice camera,I bought myself the AE1 Program last year as a carry around camera with a Vivater 28 to 210 lens
Richard
Old 20th February 2020, 03:35 PM
Friend

Hello Jane, welcome to FADU!
Old 20th February 2020, 04:33 PM
Friend

Welcome to the forum! I loaned my T70 to a friend's son... Knowing I will never get it back, I replaced it recently. This is my third. Great simple camera. Well done for infecting, er sorry, influencing the next generation of Film users....
How are you doing this? Darkroom sessions? I used a plate camera and the groups I worked with used it to make their own selfies using in camera paper negatives.
All the best, JimW.
Old 20th February 2020, 04:43 PM
Friend

Hi Jim, I annihilated my dept budget and got them Pentax p30s, a bulk film loader and let them loose outside, I also set them a challenge with making a cardboard pinhole camera, we got some really good prints from those surprisingly, they then had to make a pinhole camera from a found object, a teeny weeny chocolate tin was the smallest one that we got a print from, the focal length was ridiculous! One is still trying to recreate the Lego piece pinhole camera and has almost got a print! Getting them out the darkroom at the end of the lesson is the hard part!
Old 20th February 2020, 04:44 PM
Friend

Welcome Jane. It sounds as if you have a bunch of what sounds like 16-17 year olds who are ideal. I hope your school still has a darkroom or a room that can be converted. It has been a few years since I was at school but I recall that there was a room between two of the science labs with sinks, shelves etc and complete with black-out curtains that the school photography club used to use

No idea if such rooms exist in schools these days but I wish you every success with the photography group

If film is to survive these pupils are the future

Mike
Old 20th February 2020, 04:46 PM
Friend

Welcome to FADU. Wish I had had a teacher like you when I was at school!

David
Old 20th February 2020, 04:49 PM
Friend

Yes we have a darkroom, although when I arrived it was used as a storage room for the past couple of years, pretty much most of my budget has been spent on getting it up and running again,although two of the three enlargers don’t work as no lenses and I can’t afford to replace them as it was more important to get the pupils enthusiastic about working with film, They now consider digital to be passé, I’m winning so far!
Old 20th February 2020, 05:05 PM
Friend

In my day, Jane when money was tight in schools or so we thought then, we could still rely to an extent on a school fund that supported various clubs and it was this that helped our photography club but it may be that what was normal in terms of funding in the 60s is now a luxury that schools can't afford which is a real pity.

A school should be an all round educative experience.

The slogan I like is: "If you think education is expensive, try ignorance"

Mike
Old 20th February 2020, 05:08 PM
Friend

Hehe I love the slogan Mike!

There is a school ‘friends’ fund, but there are only certain times of the year we can apply, my sixth formers and I are working on it!
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies