Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 22nd April 2020, 12:04 PM
Friend

Default Today's plot walk!

I am keeping going durning my lock-down having a shoot with cameras I have not used for a while.

Today's choice for a walk around our plot was with my Speed Graphic + a Reinhold Schable 190mm Meniscus lens.

It was a joy to get to use this classic 5X4 again. I must get it out more often!

Neil.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SG94_4494.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	237.2 KB
ID:	3705  

Neil Souch
Old 22nd April 2020, 12:31 PM
Friend

Neil that's a nice bit of kit you have there ,is that the one with the curtain shutter ,that must be great to muck about with ,putting all sorts of glass on the front ,and getting all different effects ...be safe ..
Old 22nd April 2020, 12:39 PM
Friend

[QUOTE=GoodOldNorm My neighbours have frequent visitors and go out with their friends. It is very frustrating to watch other people going about their daily lives whilst most of us are staying in. Stay safe and stay positive![/QUOTE]

Likewise with neighbours. My partners youngest sister lives next door to me. (My partner lives abut 7 miles away) Last week and today the twin sister of my neighbours has been around with her daughter and two grandchildren and are sunbathing in the rear garden. The other sister and her daughter live about 3 miles away so are not co-habiting.

There have been 2 cases of Covid-19 in the family already, one has almost recovered and the other, one of the nieces, was diagnosed with it a couple of days ago but is at home.

You would think that after having the two members of the family already diagnosed with the virus they would think again what they were doing - specially with very young children around , plus another sister who has long term Leukaemia and is still undergoing treatment.

Are they ignorant or are they just simply thick.
Old 22nd April 2020, 12:46 PM
Friend

[QUOTE=Rob Archer;132640]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodOldNorm View Post

Don't get me going about rubbish! One of the other non-photographic things I do is help manage our local Doorstep Green. One corner of it seems to have been taken over by professional drinkers and we're picking up a sackful of cans and bottles nearly every day. That said, the rest of the site is quiet and well worth a visit for engaging with nature or photography. The low-life are easy to spot and avoid!
http://hardings-pits.org.uk/
Good work! We are 5 miles from the nearest Muck-Donalds yet most of the pre- lockdown rubbish is from that outlet. I would love to do a study of how many people buy junk food from Macdonalds and then throw their rubbish out of their cars. The recent litter is mainly cans, plastic bottles, crisp, fag packets and sweet wrappers, plus the usual condoms, tissues and bags of dog crap.
Old 22nd April 2020, 01:52 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by big paul View Post
Neil that's a nice bit of kit you have there ,is that the one with the curtain shutter ,that must be great to muck about with ,putting all sorts of glass on the front ,and getting all different effects ...be safe ..

Paul,

Yes it's a Speed Graphic with a rear curtain shutter of up to 1000th sec. It's ideal for shutterless lenses so you can experiement with more or less anything for a lens.

It was a bit rough around the edges when it came to me but Ian Grant gave it good service + some tweaks a few years and it's now shooting like a dream.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 23rd April 2020, 12:08 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
Are they ignorant or are they just simply thick.
I've seen similar John.

It really does make one wonder...

And to be honest, I think they are a bit of both!

It's people like this who will keep this virus going around and infecting other people, who may well catch it from them whilst only doing their necessary shopping for instance.

Watching the world go by and from what I see on the tv, I'm surprised how many people seem think that they are immune to it all. But when you've had it in the family already and worse still, some further members of your family are in the high risk groups, they really don't seem to think very much or seem to care about anyone else but themselves... Sad, very, very sad.

And just to end, maybe this should follow onto another thread, just so that we can all have a good moan, as we do seem to be taking over another thread, again.

Terry S
Old 23rd April 2020, 02:57 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
I've seen similar John.

It really does make one wonder...

And to be honest, I think they are a bit of both!

It's people like this who will keep this virus going around and infecting other people, who may well catch it from them whilst only doing their necessary shopping for instance.

Watching the world go by and from what I see on the tv, I'm surprised how many people seem think that they are immune to it all. But when you've had it in the family already and worse still, some further members of your family are in the high risk groups, they really don't seem to think very much or seem to care about anyone else but themselves... Sad, very, very sad.

And just to end, maybe this should follow onto another thread, just so that we can all have a good moan, as we do seem to be taking over another thread, again.

Terry S
I have got similer people here, it has been made agains't the emergency law here for Covid 19 to have visitors in your home, Police have found a very few people with Visitors in their homes, and one who refused to move was arrested and fined £1000, but we have one flat that has someone visiting them every day, all day, and they are the type that if they had symptoms would likely simply carry on as normal, and refuse to stay in isolation, makes me angry, but over here it is very very few, and for the 2 police forces we have policeing the lockdown they are easily caught out,
Richard
Old 23rd April 2020, 03:21 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&W Neil View Post
I am keeping going durning my lock-down having a shoot with cameras I have not used for a while.

Today's choice for a walk around our plot was with my Speed Graphic + a Reinhold Schable 190mm Meniscus lens.

It was a joy to get to use this classic 5X4 again. I must get it out more often!

Neil.
Hi Neil

You are quite blessed with photographic opportunities where you live, even if you are only taking the Leica for a walk.

Martin
Old 23rd April 2020, 03:40 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Aislabie View Post
Hi Neil

You are quite blessed with photographic opportunities where you live, even if you are only taking the Leica for a walk.

Martin
Martin,

Yes, we are lucky to live here with all the opportunities on our doorstep, but I haven't ventured off the plot for 5 weeks!

I did think of walking out with a Leica in a bag and using my mono-pod as a walking stick but I have been so busy here it hasn't happened. I have a feeling it will though at some point.

How are you getting on with working through your many negatives in your new darkroom ?

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 23rd April 2020, 04:50 PM
Friend

Default What am I doing to pass the time?

8am 23/04 Getting up, Shower, had breakfast Pottered about then got ready to go for my walk.

Drive to car park and start walk with Nikon F100 and 28/105 Take 17 photographs of various bits and pieces including some interesting industrial engineering hidden in woods. Not many folk about, thank goodness

Drive home. Shower again (it was a bit warm today) Turn on the TV. Nothing worth watching so shut it off.

Text received from Vodaphone about my monthly bill which was horrendous! Tried to access my account to see why it was so much - failed miserably because the Vodaphone page would not accept my password despite having had it for 8 years.

Phoned to speak to someone only to be answered by an automaton with only slightly more intelligence than Donald Trump! But persevered and eventually managed to speak to a human!!! Put on hold for several minutes and had to listen to screeching sounds that seemingly pass for music. Spoke to the human again and put back on hold and listened to more cacophony of noise.

Music stopped and a recorded voice asked me to input my mobile number I was calling from. More frustration but I did as was asked then very surprisingly was able to speak to another human - but from the wrong department.

So put on hold again (More recorded screeching) and then another human came on the phone who I could not understand because he was working from home on a rubbish phone line. The quality of the phone call would be better with two tin cans and a length of string. Problem explained AGAIN - TWICE! By now I was starting to get slightly annoyed. Still no answer as to why my bill was so large, but they will E mail me when they have a positive answer. So no further forward.

I am going to have a bottle of red to myself tonight and forget all about it.

Rant over!
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies