Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - medium format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 26th September 2012, 09:13 PM
Friend

Default Advice needed

Hi,
I feel an urge for a medium format camera coming on, must be my age. I'm fairly limited in price, can probably stretch to 3 figures but only just. I'm looking at something like a Yashica Mat 124. Is this is reasonable camera to got for? Not really interested in interchangeable lenses, just something to play around with, but capable of reasonable results.

T.I.A. Pete
Old 26th September 2012, 09:52 PM
Friend

I used one of these cameras back in the 70s (had it from new) and found it to be a very capable performer as well as reliable. It was eventually sold to make way for a Mamiya TLR. If you can find one in good used condition I would say you couldn't go far wrong for the price you have in mind.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 26th September 2012, 09:53 PM
Friend

It's a great camera to buy but make sure it's lens is OK, shutter speeds all smooth - the slow ones particularly.

I've been using one in Turkey for about 5 years with excellent results, it's been to most of Southern Europe as well.

The images made with it are being exhibited alongside others made with my LF cameras and print quality from the Yashinon les is excellent.

Ian

Ian
Old 27th September 2012, 04:52 AM
Friend

If you want a TLR for sure, take a look over a Welia Reflekta II with a Meritar 1:3.5 75mm Tessar lens type. I think you can found it cheaper than the Yashica and results of this Ludwig Meritar are really excellent.

If you are more open to suggestions, an Agfa Isolette III is always a robust and elegant solution.
Old 27th September 2012, 06:39 AM
Friend

It doesn't have to be a TLR in fact a folder may be better in some ways. Problem is I know even less about them. I need to do some more investigations before parting with my cash.
Old 27th September 2012, 07:04 AM
Friend

The Yaschica is a very capable performer, but for the same price as a yaschica you can get something like a Rolleicord,Va, which is an outstanding performer, or for a bit more you can find older Rolleiflex's, perhaps an Automat, which is a Rolls Royce of The TLR cameras,I have both and they are my favorite cameras bar none, but if you are not comitted to a TLR then why not look at an old folder, again I have several, they can be had quite cheaply if you look around, and the quality of the results you can get with them with a little care is remarkable, I talk as someone who uses nothing else but older cameras for both 35mm and 120, I can't remember the last time I used a camera that wasn't at least 50+ years old, often 60 or 70+ years old abd they deliver the goods, Even an old Ikonta b, with a Nova lens, that I paid £28 for, when stoped down, can print 16x20 easily, I could not imagine using anything but these cameras,
Richard

Last edited by Richard Gould; 27th September 2012 at 07:08 AM.
Old 27th September 2012, 09:50 AM
Friend

I have a Yashicamat 124G and find it to be an excellent camera. it is very light and compact for a TLR. If you get one with the latest Yashinon lens you will not be disappointed.

Mark
Old 28th September 2012, 10:05 AM
Friend

Default Tlr

Another suggestion for your money would be a Minolta Autocord which has a sharp Rokkor taking lens. Guess who has one available!
Good luck with your choice
Old 28th September 2012, 10:35 AM
Friend

Sadly the purchase will have to be delayed for a couple of months. I fail to see how a pair of front tyres cost so much...

Thanks for all the advice.

Pete
Old 28th September 2012, 03:46 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by petemcarthur View Post
Sadly the purchase will have to be delayed for a couple of months. I fail to see how a pair of front tyres cost so much...

Pete
You have my sympathy. It might be just me getting old and crotchety but like darkroom paper I'd swear that tyres are another thing that have rocketed in price in recent years.

Mike
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies