Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Equipment miscellaneous

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 9th April 2013, 11:14 AM
Friend

Default Shift Lenses:

Does any reader have any experiences of using 'shift lenses', if they have, I would be grateful for the benefit of their experiences in general.

My main area of interest would be for city photography and Olympus OM system lenses as I have OM cameras. I realise that these are rare and likely to be expensive if I can find one in good condition, I am weighing up the possibilities at the moment.
Old 9th April 2013, 12:43 PM
Friend

I have a Canon 45mm tilt & shift - To be honest, it is not a lens I use very often. Probably mounted it on a camera a dozen times since acquiring several years ago.

That said, most of my photography is with a 5x4 where I do use tilts and shifts on a regular basis.
Old 9th April 2013, 02:00 PM
Friend

I have the 28mm f2.8 Schneider PC Super-Angulon in a Contax fitting. I don't use it often enough, and when I do, I tend to forget to stop it down, leading to over-exposure. And you must remember to either use manual exposure or lock the reading in before altering the position of the lens, as the TTL meter will no longer work accurately.

Aside from those two points to remember, it's a very good lens, though rather restricted in its use in this digital day and age, where the cropping factor makes it a very slight wide-angle of 42mm.

The Schneider uses an interchangeable mount, so it can be used on other camera systems.

Nick
Old 9th April 2013, 02:09 PM
Friend

Default Shift Lenses

I have the 75mm f4.5 SMC Shift Takumar for my Pentax 6x7 -- it can go sideways as well as up and down-- I have used it a lot in the past for Architectural photography when I was getting work -- then the company went BROKE as usual and all the work stopped . I used to put Kodak Gelatin filters into the rear of the lens such as 81B warm-up for slide films work.

All Saints Warley by pentaxpete, on Flickr
Old 9th April 2013, 03:11 PM
Friend

I purchased a Zuiko 35 F2.8 from FFordes, I had spent a lot of time trying finding one, a few years ago for I think about £450 in very good condition, mainly to take standing archaeology. I have to admit it is wonderful lens, but I do not use it as much as I would like, partly because of the hassle to setting it up on a tri-pod.
Once you are lucky enough to find one, you may find it useful to change your viewfinder screen to a 1-10, I leave mine permanently in the camera and now find it easier to use than the standard screen.
Old 9th April 2013, 04:00 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard James View Post
Once you are lucky enough to find one, you may find it useful to change your viewfinder screen to a 1-10, I leave mine permanently in the camera and now find it easier to use than the standard screen.
Richard, is a 1-10 a grid square screen? If not what is it?

Thanks

Mike
Old 9th April 2013, 04:10 PM
Friend

Yes it is the grid screen. Please find info from the Unofficial Olympus Web site, which I hope will help: http://www.star.ucl.ac.uk/~rwesson/esif/om-sif.htm
1-10
Checker-matte type
(for shift lenses) This screen was specially designed for use with the Zuiko Shift Lenses. The grid lines engraved on the all-matte ground screen (the same as the 1-4) is used for vertical and horizontal picture alignment in architectural and composite panoramic photography.
The screen is also suitable for general photography, super telephotography and close-up / macrophotography in conjuction with the macro lenses and Auto Bellows. Focusing is done on the matte area. The meter needle gives correct light readings1.
Old 9th April 2013, 05:00 PM
Friend

Collas - all the automatic OM cameras will give the correct exposure on auto whether you remember to stop down or not because exposure is calculated in real time while the shutter is open, so that lens might be a useful tip for the OP who is using the OM system.

RH Designs darkroom equipment : dalesphoto.co.uk
Old 9th April 2013, 08:08 PM
Friend

My suggestion would be to buy a Mirex tilt/shift adapter. They make one with a T2 mount so will fit on any 35mm camera. You can get them to take Mamiya 6x4.5 lenses or Hasselblad lenses. The downside is that they do limit the available wide lenses.

The cost is not cheap at about 500 euros, but once purchased you can use the tilt and shift on any compatible lenses.
Old 9th April 2013, 10:05 PM
Friend

I use the PC Nikkor 28mm lens. It shifts, but doesn't tilt. The shift can be varied for up, down, sideways and at an angle. The image quality is superb. It is, like others, a stop-down system. The only drawback is that it is quite big. I tend to use it more than my 24mm. If used without the shift, I expect that it will give better image quality than a normal 28mm as you are then using the centre of the image area. If you use one of these as your main lens, you quickly adapt to the metering procedure. Alex
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies