Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Alternative Processes > Alternate printing processes

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 17th March 2017, 09:52 AM
Friend

Default Albumen powder

Any reason not to use albumen powder for albumen prints instead of making it from raw egg whites? Albumen powder sounds so convenient!
Old 18th March 2017, 12:40 AM
Friend

Where do you get it?
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 18th March 2017, 08:04 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmuir View Post
Where do you get it?
Alex

It's here Alex - http://www.wetplatesupplies.com/albumen-powder.html
Old 18th March 2017, 10:11 AM
Friend

Thanks Kev. I'm equipping myself to try various old processes. I had thought about Albumen, but it sounds a bit messy using eggs. This seems to be suitable according to the seller, so I think I'll order some. Thanks for mentioning it.
Alex

Old 18th March 2017, 11:20 AM
Friend

Let us know how you get on with the Albumen powder, Kev. The views on its efficacy compared to fresh albumen suggest that the two may not produce the same print but key to this is whether there is a noticeable difference that renders the powder a poorer substitute

Thanks

Mike
Old 18th March 2017, 11:40 AM
Friend

I posted the same question over in APUG and it appears to be less than ideal - I'll just go with the raw eggs I think.
Old 18th March 2017, 01:28 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmuir View Post
Thanks Kev. I'm equipping myself to try various old processes. I had thought about Albumen, but it sounds a bit messy using eggs. This seems to be suitable according to the seller, so I think I'll order some. Thanks for mentioning it.
Alex

Alex, its really only cracking eggs and mixing them up. We would still have to mix the egg powder with water. It just sounds more convenient, but at the end of the day its not that much bother to crack a few eggs. I'll need to just brave iit if I want to produce albumen prints
Old 18th March 2017, 06:52 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev curry View Post
Alex, its really only cracking eggs and mixing them up. We would still have to mix the egg powder with water. It just sounds more convenient, but at the end of the day its not that much bother to crack a few eggs. I'll need to just brave iit if I want to produce albumen prints
As Albumen printing took of the French invented the Soufflé to use up the egg yolks

Ian
Old 18th March 2017, 09:46 PM
Friend

The albumen powder certainly looks to be cheaper than its equivalent in large eggs. WetPlateSupplies reckon on its £5.99 powder being the equivalent of 4.33 doz eggs which will be about £10 at Tesco.

Mind you if albumen powder was all you were buying at Wet plate then the postage cost may make thing balance out.

Tesco will even sell you 500ml of fresh liquid egg white for £3 but I have no idea how this translates into a quantity of eggs/ number of prints. The other issue is that once opened all 500ml should be used in 7 days - at least for cooking freshness.

Mike

P.S. I have no connection with Tesco. It was just the first supermarket that came into my head for the price of eggs. For my own part I specialize in snake oil sales
Old 19th March 2017, 02:37 AM
Friend

Hey,Kevin I found this an interesting read.http://albumen.conservation-us.org/l...men_print.html
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies