Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 11th September 2020, 09:13 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Good news Tony ad quite a surprise. I think if the film is Pan F then even Ilford might be interested in your success. Your find of the bulk roll and your success is possibly the kind of thing that Ilford might even want to mention in its website

As far as posting pics of the negs is concerned then it's the moderators call but as the subject was latent image fade then this concerns a potential problem with a negative so on that basis and for our benefit I see no reason why you could not take a picture of one or two on the negs to demonstrate the box speed and EI 25 and EI 12 speed negatives

These would be legitimate pics of negs as negs which I think the rules allow

What I believe the rules forbid is the reversal of negs to positives as if they were the equivalent of darkroom prints which they are not

However as I say this is a mod's call

Mike
Hi Mike,

Not quite sure if you're taking the mick?

I'll get a better look today in daylight and put together a lightbox as I just have a plain scanner not a neg scanner.

Might try to get pics of the negs against a window but quality might not be good enough.

Sent from my Mi A2 Lite using Tapatalk
Old 11th September 2020, 11:58 AM
Friend

[QUOTE=TonyZ;135521]Hi Mike,

Not quite sure if you're taking the mick?

I'll get a better look today in daylight and put together a lightbox as I just have a plain scanner not a neg scanner.

Might try to get pics of the negs against a window but quality might not be good enough.

/QUOTE]

No Tony I was certainly not taking the mick. What was it I said that indicates this to you?

Thanks

Mike
Old 11th September 2020, 12:10 PM
Friend

Hi Mike,

It was the "even Ilford might be interested" bit because personally I can't imagine they would, but that's on me.

I apologize Mike, it's probably just me being insecure! I certainly don't want to stifle any help or useful suggestions from people that know a lot more about this stuff than I do.

Many thanks and kind regards,

Tony Z

Old 11th September 2020, 12:43 PM
Friend

Good afternoon Tony.
I very much hope you're enjoying the forum, and come to be a regular contributor. Very glad you got some results out of your PanF. Your post prompts a couple of thoughts. In order:

Please don't worry about posting your views. There's very, very little in the way of personal insult/ slagging/ baiting goes on here. I pretty much abandoned the Large Format Forum because of endless bad feeling and sniping between members. Here, you can take comments pretty much at face value. The occasional 'rogue' stands out a mile, and seldom stays.

"Ilford might be interested". Actually, yes. They may be a Big Name in the film photography world, but it's a small world. Ilford will respond to direct enquiries about their materials, and are happy to hear stories which promote the values of their products. They aren't Toyota or Disney.

Scans. The "unique selling point" of this forum is that it is exclusively Film and darkroom. No hybrid work-flow. Scans of negatives are for discussion and illustration of technical problems. More than one member has benefited from posting a picture of some dodgy negatives and getting feedback. This suits me, but I can accept these days many folk want to shoot film then scan and print. Such photographers are hugely welcome here to discuss film, cameras, processing, and the 'philosophy' of photography. Hybrid prints though wouldn't be eligible for things like our exchanges. I did see your comment about getting back in the darkroom- good luck. Mine is an office just now (home working) but hopefully not for much longer.
Cheers,
Colin
Old 11th September 2020, 01:12 PM
Friend

Yes Colin pretty well sums up my reason for mentioning Ilford being interested. These days it goes in for a lot more of a social media angle and for want of a better word "chat" so as Colin says interesting film stories that happens to promote its products might well be welcome

Mike
Old 11th September 2020, 03:43 PM
Friend

Yeah, sorry guys, I guess I'm used to the wrong kind of forums.

I'll post up some scans of the negs as soon as I can get a half decent shot for evaluation.

Definitely looking forward to joining in the print exchanges, now if I can just shoo my son back to uni

Thanks again chaps,

Tony Z

Old 11th September 2020, 06:56 PM
Friend

Ok, so you guys motivated me to finally get an old laptop broken screen and make it into a light panel, one of my many half finished projects, it still not finished but working. Looks a bit scrappy as it's been kicking around my shed for a year!

I've attached the negs that I developed yesterday and shot on my phone, they seem to have come out pretty well imho.

I also included a shot of the tin, looking more closely at the image I think the film was manufactured in 83 and expired in 87?

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to using this stuff and if Pan f+ is as good will probably end up as my go to film.

From right to left, first shot was at iso 50, next was +1 stop, and the third +2. Then the 4th was iso 50 again, +1 and +2 for the next two.

The last two pics are of the laptop screen and the mess I made of my desk!

If you want to know how to repurpose a broken laptop screen let me know and I'll point you to the tutorial on t'youtube I used.

Now I've got to tidy up!

BTW, the as you know phone cameras do autoexposure so density of the negs may not be as seen in real life.

In future I'll not use Tapatalk to upload as it limits the resolution.

Thanks for your help,

Tony Z

Last edited by TonyZ; 11th September 2020 at 07:01 PM.
Old 11th September 2020, 07:29 PM
Friend

Hi Tony, your neg's are looking very good even at box speed so it doesn't seem necessary to down rate the film speed.

There is a little bit of light piping along one side that you might want to get sorted, but even that doesn't impinge on the negative frame.

Great result!

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 11th September 2020, 09:37 PM
Friend

I'd agree with Marty. I am no expert at reading negatives but it seems to me as well that your film has lost none of its speed in what may be over 35 years

That is amazing.

Mike
Old 14th September 2020, 07:48 PM
Friend

Thanks, chaps.

You're right about the light piping, I think it's the dev tank I'm using, it's a Paterson 35 model II (had to go and have a look at it!).

It's pretty old, doesn't have a great overlap on the lid and I think it's probably worn down over the years.

I don't know why I still use it.

Tony Z
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies