Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 9th November 2020, 10:52 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Gould View Post
That's one of the only 2 I can find anywhere25minutes @1 in 25, it certainly seems to be a rare combination, even the MDC has no listing for this combo, which makes me think it maybe does not work well
Richard,

You are not looking at what I am looking at Richard.

Open filmdev.org

Search D74/RHS-DC

It's the only one that comes up.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 9th November 2020, 11:15 AM
Friend

Hi Neil
all I get is no recipes found for the combination, only for D74, which is the 1/30
Richard
Old 9th November 2020, 11:48 AM
Friend

Best I csn come up with is Rollei rhs, which appear to be the same as d74, which gives 5 minutes at 20 or 8.30 at 1/19,I simply can't find much fpr d74/rhs-dc, but the Rollei rhs there is plenty around, so Adrian, take the times for Rollei rhs, which is the same formula as the d74, and go with that, If I an right, it is the same formula as the now gone Firstcall film developer, sold now as the D74/rhs-dc, there is a lot of information on this combo around, just google Fomapan 400 in Rollei RHS and away you go,
Richard

Last edited by Richard Gould; 9th November 2020 at 11:56 AM.
Old 9th November 2020, 01:02 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&W Neil View Post
You are not looking at what I am looking at Richard.

Open filmdev.org

Search D74/RHS-DC

It's the only one that comes up.

Neil.
Here it is:

https://filmdev.org/recipe/search?search=d74+RHS-DC

Terry S
Old 9th November 2020, 02:45 PM
Friend

Thanks Terry - saved me a job :-)

I would just add it needs to be fully opened to see the full routine.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 9th November 2020, 03:14 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
That's the 200, I was looking for 400, which is what Adrian said he was looking for, he has 2 fomapan 400 films to develop in the d 74, so I put in 400, and the only one on there was the one I originally found, 400 at 1/25 for 254 minutes, so that explains why I couldn't find your listing, but as far as I can work out the d74rhs/dc is pretty much the same as the Rollei RHS/dc, in fact probably the same formula with a bit more to the name to make it different to the Rollei developer,
Richard
Old 9th November 2020, 10:22 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Gould View Post
That's the 200, I was looking for 400, which is what Adrian said he was looking for, he has 2 fomapan 400 films to develop in the d 74, so I put in 400, and the only one on there was the one I originally found, 400 at 1/25 for 254 minutes, so that explains why I couldn't find your listing, but as far as I can work out the d74rhs/dc is pretty much the same as the Rollei RHS/dc, in fact probably the same formula with a bit more to the name to make it different to the Rollei developer,
Richard

Actually I did say I was shooting fomapan 200. And in supergrain I can rate it at box speed. Which is what I’d hoped to do with the d74. I found a post there by Robert Vonk who rated it at 125 though. I wondered if this was just something he did to deal with the light as the scene was back lit, or if it was due to the dev/film resetrictions. I’m aware that foma 200 needs a speed enhancing dev to get close to the box speed though and supergrain seems to be the best choice for this. According to Mr Vonk at least. DDX was pretty good too I recall.

Anyway, I spoke to Firstcall this afternoon and they said (confusingly!) that until recently the times on their packaging for d74 they gave 1:7 dilution times. But now it’s 1:15 as they doubled the active chemistry. He seemed to be saying that d74 used to be the same as am74 which is contrary to everything I’ve read. Including in the massive dev chart. But then he mentioned he thought is was an old Kodak formula too! In order to just cut to the chase I then told him I shoot Fomapan 200 at box speed to dev in supergrain and asked if I could expect similar results from d74 when I found the right time. He said I probably could.

So Richard, as I’m still non the wiser, most 100 films on the packet use 4 mins at 1:15, and most 400 films are 6 mins, I’m going to take a stab at 7 mins at 1:19 with a 5 min pre soak in the jobo. And as you say, waste some film! Fingers crossed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 9th November 2020, 10:24 PM
Friend

https://filmdev.org/recipe/finder/?f...pan+200+in+d74

Old 10th November 2020, 08:40 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianlambert View Post
Actually I did say I was shooting fomapan 200. And in supergrain I can rate it at box speed. Which is what I’d hoped to do with the d74. I found a post there by Robert Vonk who rated it at 125 though. I wondered if this was just something he did to deal with the light as the scene was back lit, or if it was due to the dev/film resetrictions. I’m aware that foma 200 needs a speed enhancing dev to get close to the box speed though and supergrain seems to be the best choice for this. According to Mr Vonk at least. DDX was pretty good too I recall.

Anyway, I spoke to Firstcall this afternoon and they said (confusingly!) that until recently the times on their packaging for d74 they gave 1:7 dilution times. But now it’s 1:15 as they doubled the active chemistry. He seemed to be saying that d74 used to be the same as am74 which is contrary to everything I’ve read. Including in the massive dev chart. But then he mentioned he thought is was an old Kodak formula too! In order to just cut to the chase I then told him I shoot Fomapan 200 at box speed to dev in supergrain and asked if I could expect similar results from d74 when I found the right time. He said I probably could.

So Richard, as I’m still non the wiser, most 100 films on the packet use 4 mins at 1:15, and most 400 films are 6 mins, I’m going to take a stab at 7 mins at 1:19 with a 5 min pre soak in the jobo. And as you say, waste some film! Fingers crossed!

Adrian, if you check your post 16 then you say that you have 2 rolls of Fomapan 400 to develop.
Richard
Old 10th November 2020, 08:48 AM
Friend

In actual fact I believe that you should get 200 with this developer, When byt I suggest that you develop for the 200 try 8 minutes, I have always found that Fomapan 200 and 400 need about 2 minutes extra in most develpers, even ID11, so give it the 8, as you have exposed at box speed, 200 in reality is 125,good luk, sorry for the confusion, but I was going by your original post 16 when you gave 400 rather than 200, and I was looking for 400 film, which seems to be very few and far between.
Richard
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies