Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 12th July 2010, 09:33 PM
Friend

Default HP5/Microphen?

Never used that combo before. I'm after doing some hand held 120 daylight grab type shots. Anyone use these two together?. I know HP5 in ID11 and Rodinal and I like what they do, but for me HP5 is near 250iso in these two, and I'd like a genuine 400 at least without any nasties.
Old 13th July 2010, 07:34 AM
Friend

I've used it for just a few rolls. The pic is a scan from a 35mm negative; Microphen 1+1 12 minutes 20c. I'd use it more often only it is expensive here and hard to find.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BW182_32.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	754  
Old 13th July 2010, 08:55 AM
Friend

I use HP5+ and home-mixed ID-68, which is meant to be very similar to Microphen. Not done any proper speed testing, but exposing at 400EI gives easily printable negatives without having to stray too far from G2 paper.
A couple of scanned examples with this combo, exposed at 400EI:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nord_modular/4531983105/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nord_mo...n/photostream/

It also works well for pushing. Here's one exposed at 1600EI:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nord_modular/3729278308/

Ian
Old 13th July 2010, 07:14 PM
Friend

Ian, Chris, thanks for that. I like the idea of home brew ID68. How do you find shadows hold up with HP5 @400?
Old 14th July 2010, 08:43 AM
Friend

The ID-68/HP5+ combo at 400EI gives me a good tonal range, with nothing getting blocked up at either end. I've used Ilfotec DD-X in the past and the only difference I can tell between the two developers is that the grain is very slightly more noticeable in ID-68.

Buying raw chemicals from Silverprint, I worked out a litre of ID-68 stock costs me about 60p. I develop in stock and return to the bottle, for a total of four films per litre, increasing time by 10% with each subsequent roll. This gives consistent results. In theory a litre of stock will develop up to 10 rolls, but the time gets very long by the end and I'm not convinced the results will be consistent enough with the later films.

Ian
Old 14th July 2010, 08:53 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan160 View Post
The ID-68/HP5+ combo at 400EI gives me a good tonal range, with nothing getting blocked up at either end. I've used Ilfotec DD-X in the past and the only difference I can tell between the two developers is that the grain is very slightly more noticeable in ID-68.

Buying raw chemicals from Silverprint, I worked out a litre of ID-68 stock costs me about 60p. I develop in stock and return to the bottle, for a total of four films per litre, increasing time by 10% with each subsequent roll. This gives consistent results. In theory a litre of stock will develop up to 10 rolls, but the time gets very long by the end and I'm not convinced the results will be consistent enough with the later films.

Ian
That sounds like very good value Ian. As you say, cheap enough not to have to risk valuable films by overuse.
Old 14th July 2010, 04:48 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan160 View Post

Ian
Have you considered replenishment?
Old 15th July 2010, 08:44 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Tapscott. View Post
Have you considered replenishment?
I've been averaging only 2-3 rolls of B&W a month over the last year, so don't think that's enough throughput to keep a replenished solution. I'm convinced by the arguments for replenishment though, and should have some more time for photography now (settled into new job, and wife has finished law school), so will give it a try.

Ian
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies