Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 2nd July 2020, 01:41 PM
Administrator

Newton was as well known for his work in optics. Although Hooke actually discovered Newton's Rings, Newton ended up with the credit as it appears he did most of the analysis on them (or he just used his influence to make sure he got the credit - not entirely unknown with Newton!).

Sadly, you cannot remove a static charge from an insulator by grounding it. By definition, an insulator will not allow a charge to move through the material so it cannot be discharged that way.

However, getting it wet first should work as water is a conductor (at least, normal tap water is) and as water pipes are grounded, running it under a tap might work (tho' you would then have to leave it to dry naturally as wiping it dry will build up a charge again!).

This is one of the ways "anti-static" fluids work: by coating the surface with a chemical that absorbs water, allowing the surface to become conductive. The other fluid method simply coats the surface with a conductive material. The only other way to neutralise a charge on an insulator that I know of is to fire a stream of ions of the opposite polarity at the item.
Old 2nd July 2020, 01:49 PM
Friend

Oh, I'm sorry, I've just noticed I wrote "AR" instead of "AN". I sometimes have difficulty with letters. I'm a bit dyslexic.
Pete
Old 2nd July 2020, 07:36 PM
Friend

I use isopropyl alcohol to clean all my enlarger glass - both plain and anti-newton.

However, it does depend on what you are trying to clean off.

Washing up liquid is fat based - so leaves a fat residue behind.

Anti Newton cloths leave residues too.

Looking at the cleanliness of drinking glasses coming out of the dishwasher - I might try putting them in there and running then through a wash cycle next time I want to clean them.

Martin
Old 2nd July 2020, 10:53 PM
Administrator

Don't think there is any fat in washing up liquid - they are designed to remove fats. I think that idea comes from soap having a fat as one major ingredient, but by the time it comes off the production line the fat has been transformed into a detergent. Detergents are molecules that are strongly attracted to water on one side and hate water on the other side. The result is that fat (and anything else the detergent molecule can get a decent grip on) is lifted off the surface and into solution in the water as the hydrophillic side really, really likes to be in water and the other side, really, really hates water so will attach to anything it can that isn't water. But washing up liquid does have other chemicals such as perfumes which will be left behind on the glass.

As an added bonus, your AN glass will never catch a coronavirus. Detergents are really good at destroying lipid coated viruses. This is the science bit behind why we are told to wash our hands a lot - the virus' fatty lipid coating is dissolved into the water by this action and the virus literally falls apart (edit: the detergent also lifts off the dirt and natural fats the virus is lurking in on your hands and it gets flushed down the drain that way - I'm not sure which bit is the most effective).

Last edited by Bob; 2nd July 2020 at 11:32 PM.
Old 3rd July 2020, 04:42 PM
Friend

I wonder if a drop of Photo-Flo is the answer.
Pete
Old 3rd July 2020, 09:57 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post

(edit: the detergent also lifts off the dirt and natural fats the virus is lurking in on your hands and it gets flushed down the drain that way - I'm not sure which bit is the most effective).
A good explanation, Bob and thanks. However I can say that no amount of detergent lifts the natural fats off my pot belly. I did try it. Apparently a lot of lettuce leaves taken internally in place of my usual "Date and Walnut cake does work but that's a nasty medicine

Mike
Old 4th July 2020, 07:55 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
A good explanation, Bob and thanks. However I can say that no amount of detergent lifts the natural fats off my pot belly. I did try it. Apparently a lot of lettuce leaves taken internally in place of my usual "Date and Walnut cake does work but that's a nasty medicine

Mike
Yes, sadly (regardless of whatever a certain gentleman currently residing in the District of Columbia, USA may believe) detergents, like bleach, are for external application only .

Lettuce leaves are really only suitable for treating rabbits and should, wherever possible, be substituted by bacon sandwiches and copious cups of tea in human trials (despite being ever so slightly less effective).

Last edited by Bob; 4th July 2020 at 08:00 AM.
Old 4th July 2020, 09:58 AM
Friend

As an alternative to liquid detergent,( & in my mind better) Three things I have used in the past are white vinegar (Not Malt), Methylated Spirits or my current cleaner of choice Isopropyl Alcohol.

Apply with a small lump of cotton wool and let it dry and wipe over with a clean freshly laundered cotton handkerchief. Don't use paper tissues, over time they will scratch.
Old 5th July 2020, 11:42 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
I wondered too Mike.

But maybe it's 'Anti-Reflective' glass = AR and aka 'Anti-Newton' glass; although I don't know what the glass has against Newton, I'm sure...

Terry S
Didn't he invent that gravity stuff? If it wasn't for him things that get dropped and disappear in to corners of the darkroom would stay where they are!
Old 11th July 2020, 01:08 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collas View Post
Known as an ESD (Electro-Static Discharge) strap.
Thank you Collas did not know what to call it.

As for cleaning the glass neat windscreen screen wash is good can be used diluted.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.

Last edited by photomi7ch; 11th July 2020 at 01:12 PM. Reason: for got a line.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies