Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 10th July 2020, 08:27 AM
New User

Default My first darkroom

Hello!

First of all, I'd like to thank you for welcoming me here. The information you all post has already helped me a lot and I am finishing my first darkroom. I have never dealt with a darkroom so I am completely green in the subject, but my desire to learn is great. Here is the equipment I managed to complete so far:
- Krocus 66 enlarger
- glare
- trays
- korex
- thermometer
- bulbs

In the near future I am going to buy heads, a set for c-41, ra-4 and a roll of Kodak edge paper. I have a question though: will this equipment be enough to make a negative and prints?
I am sure that the beginnings will probably be difficult and cost me a lot of material, time and nerves. Could you please suggest a book that would introduce me to the darkroom and describe these processes and developing both negatives and colour prints?
Old 10th July 2020, 07:52 PM
Friend

Good evening Jabberwocky.
It is always a pleasure to see new members join the forum, and we hope you will find much help and advice here.
For the members to offer the best advice, and to recommend the correct book, can I ask;
  1. What format are you using (35mm 120)?
  2. Do you hope to make colour or black and white prints?
  3. What is 'glare', a name I'm not familiar with? We all have something to learn!
Once again, welcome to FADU
Old 11th July 2020, 12:12 PM
Friend

...and korex?...

Terry S
Old 11th July 2020, 01:05 PM
Friend

Welcome Jabberwocky, you are certainly jumping in with both feet is your enlarger set up for colour?

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 11th July 2020, 03:43 PM
Friend

Welcome,Jabberwocky. Darkroom print of any kind is great fun. In additional to the questions already asked by members it would help to know if you have already set up the darkroom, if so it is permanent or a room that has to be converted back to other use etc

FADU and you will need to have a lot of conversations i.e. posts on this before we'll be able to tell you all you need to know and equally importantly not telling you stuff you already know

For colour work the Darkroom Book by Jack Schofield is quite good

There may be copies on Abe Books or Alibris Books

Not wishing to dampen your enthusiasm but the first thing is to find out if you have any experience in film processing and if you have is that b&w or colour film.

Tell us as much as you can about "everything you already have and know " and we can really help you "make a go" of this adventure

Mike
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies