Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 16th August 2020, 09:29 PM
Friend

Default Mobile phone darkroom printing

I think this pretty neat idea and would be fun to try.

https://youtu.be/busz2i3Inpc

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
Old 16th August 2020, 11:35 PM
Friend

I admit I had some difficulty following this. Once he discovered that his Bronica could be used as the enlarger and the picture on the mobile phone was the negative in the negative holder and also formed the top of the light-tight box which is what an enlarger is then why not use a film negative held in place by thick cardboard or wood and focus this on the paper?

As it was a picture taken by a mobile phone and this a positive I presume that he had the additional task of converting it into a b&w digital negative? However all of that can be avoided by using a film negative in the first place can't it?

As it was demonstrated it is a hybrid process with the twist that in his case the first part ( usually the film ) is digital and the second enlarger part is analogue, this a reversal of the usual hybrid process

Apart from the fact that it is a hybrid process and thus not in keeping with FADU rules I believe that using a negative and the camera as the enlarger would actually produce the better prints

I suppose the part that would be needed which is missing in my negative covered with wood to make a light-tight box is the part of the enlarger bulb which the mobile phone screen provides but is a blank lit screen not possible to act as both the light and light cover?

A small wooden box with a led bulb inside would suffice

Mike
Old 17th August 2020, 04:15 AM
Friend

Well I was under the impression that the pictures where not originally shot on film.

Old 17th August 2020, 11:51 AM
Friend

Given time, I can see him starting to use film and then getting an enlarger etc. as it definitely seems easier than what he's doing at the moment, but we'll wait and see.

Good on him though for trying out something slightly different, although I have seen other people and companies doing and selling similar workarounds already.

Terry S
Old 17th August 2020, 12:00 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britman View Post
Well I was under the impression that the pictures where not originally shot on film.

I just thought he mentioned that some of his prints had been from negatives and others from a digital picture and when he was showing us the outcomes he was able to compare the two. However if I heard him correctly I must admit that I have no idea how he provided the equivalent of the light needed to project the negative so maybe you are right.

Mike
Old 18th August 2020, 02:37 PM
Administrator

aows does use film a lot of the time but has a hybrid workflow. I subscribed to his channel some time ago as he is mainly about the photography, not necessarily about the materials and equipment - tho' they do make occasional appearances so I just skip those.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies