Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 1st September 2020, 03:32 PM
New User

Default Ilford Multigrade 500h Help - Left light no longer turns on

Hello, I have an Ilford Multigrade system on a de vere 504, with an RH Designs analyser pro timer.

Earlier today I went to print and just as I turned on the focus the left hand bulb blew. I replaced the bulb with a new one, but now the left hand light in the head of the enlarger doesn't turn on at all! and I'm at a complete loss as to what to do.

I have tested the bulb in the right hand side, and it definitely works.

I have tried a separate power supply (500s, as I have a spare), and it is the same.

I've also tried the ilford timer instead of the analyser pro, and that too doesn't make any difference - basically only the magenta light (the right hand side) turns on. The left hand light which normally gives the yellow light, won't turn on at all.

I have no idea what the problem might be, or how to repair it, and am quite upset as I use the enlarger a lot.

any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old 1st September 2020, 03:59 PM
New User

Just to Update, i just had another look and tried to clean the ceramic bulb holder again and have managed to get it working! i think it was either some dirt causing a bad contact or that I was not pushing the new bulb into the holder far enough. So its all ok now thank goodness, and fingers crossed! So sorry for this unnecessary thread.
Old 1st September 2020, 05:34 PM
Administrator

No problem - glad you got it sorted. These ceramic holders' contacts do corrode over time so it's always worth keeping a spare or two in stock.
Old 1st September 2020, 08:29 PM
Friend

If these are the same type of ceramic bulbholders that are used on the Durst 605M enlarger then they are female to accept the male prongs in the bulb.

Arcing does occur inside the holes and eventually affects conductivity, they can be cleaned by poking a darning needle inside the holes or better still apparently is a jeweller's round file which goes into the hole and turned.

However and certainly in the case of a darning needle this may be a temporary solution that may last a few days or weeks but as Bob has said a replacement ceramic holder or two in your case is worthwhile.

In the case of my model of Durst some users say that the ceramic holders are worth replacing along with a new bulb when the old one goes

pentaxuser
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies