Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 13th November 2020, 11:41 PM
Friend

Default Enlarger exchange parts

Does anyone know how to remove the knobs on the ends of the focussing adjustment spindle on a LPL6700 and a LPL7700?

I have a decrepit 6700 (Filter adjustment broken) which I haven't used for years and would like to swap the focussing knobs with the ones on my 7700 because the ones on the 6700 are over twice the diameter. Focussing the 6700 is far easier to get accurate in one hit with the larger knobs, so changing them over makes sense.
Old 14th November 2020, 08:36 AM
Friend

John, having had to do a repair on my 6700 a couple of years ago I can tell you that they are a 'simple' push fit and located by the usual 'flat' on the spindle and a matching 'flat' and small flat spring within the knob boss. However, be warned, it is likely that this small flat spring will have 'welded' itself to the spindle and the plastic of the knob boss will have become very brittle with age.
The knob on my enlarger had developed a slight play which made accurate focusing difficult so I decided to remove the knob to see what the issus was - the knob boss broke apart as I tried to remove it. I thought I could simply swap the LH knob over but that too was seized solid and I daren't apply too much force in case that too self-destructed.
I located a replacement knob on a well known auction site but the vendor wanted £39 for it which I thought was a rip-off so instead I bought some Evo-stik Hard and Fast Metal Epoxy putty and moulded a large lump of it inside and around the remains of the old boss, pushed it onto the spindle and left it for a couple of days to cure. It has performed faultlessly ever since.
Hope this helps.
Old 14th November 2020, 09:50 AM
Print Exchange Manager

Yes, I have noticed that people are breaking up enlargers and auctioning or selling the parts at inflated prices even in poor condition.

Mike
Old 16th November 2020, 01:48 PM
Friend

Default Focussing knobs

Thanks Keith. That is pretty well much as I thought, but having tried to pull them off already I am going to have to eat a great many steak pies before they can be shifted.

I have a gear puller in my tool kit for pulling gearbox cogs off tapered shafts so I may be able to adapt one to pull the knobs off a straight spindle. They are a lot larger in a gearbox and originally pressed so unless the knobs break in the attempt, it should be relatively easy.
Old 16th November 2020, 02:23 PM
Friend

There is no access to the end of the shaft for a conventional gear puller John and the only device in my bunch of gear pullers etc that would have done the job was my steering arm ball joint splitter - which had gone awol of course.

The other alternative is to build up the diameter of the offending knob. Many years ago I used a self-amalgamating rubber tape to do such an enlargement but I'm sure there are many such products on the market now that would do the job admirably. Failing that the epoxy-metal stuff will do the job.
Old 16th November 2020, 02:47 PM
Friend

An apology is needed. I've just realised that the device I refered to as a 'ball joint splitter' was an incorrect term, that is a different beast to my tool which was a custom made job. In effect mine is two small and thin bladed crow bars hinged back-to-back so that squeezing the handle ends together parted the blades. I hope this makes sense.
Old 16th November 2020, 02:56 PM
Friend

Forget all of the previous posts on this topic! The spindles on the focussing mechanism are grossly different sizes. The one on the 6700 is about twice that on the 7700, plus there is only one knob on the 6700 where the 7700 has two.

Last edited by John King; 16th November 2020 at 03:12 PM.
Old 16th November 2020, 04:53 PM
Friend

Default Lpl6700

All is not lost! having given up the idea of changing over the adjustment dials I lifted the cover off the filter housing and found why the filter adjustment was broken.

I found that a sliding guide on the Cyan filter side had jumped out of the groove and had jammed everything up. I found the screw that had come undone and caused the problem and replaced it.

So it is now a fully working colour enlarger again.I am now running out of storage space. There was so much muck and dust inside the housing I could have planted a field of spuds!

I am now running out of storage space!
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies