Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 6th November 2019, 05:06 PM
Friend

no I don't drink it I wash my film in it
Old 6th November 2019, 05:21 PM
Friend

As I mentioned earlier I have it lodged in my head that cold water is not as efficient as tepid or warm water for washing negatives.

I remember going overboard at one time when everything I printed had to be of archival quality. So maybe it came from there.

However, Ilford do not mention water temperatures on their technical sheet concerning water saving when washing films and prints.
Old 6th November 2019, 05:30 PM
Friend

temperature wise I just use what ever the temperature of the water is ,I have negs and prints I took in 1972 and they are still OK
Old 6th November 2019, 05:44 PM
Friend

I think Ilford state 5C degrees, as the minimum, which is not that warm, so water from our taps should be okay for at least the majority of the year.

Terry S
Old 6th November 2019, 06:02 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
I think Ilford state 5C degrees, as the minimum, which is not that warm, so water from our taps should be okay for at least the majority of the year.

Terry S

It’s in my mind that the recommendation is ‘within 5 degrees of the processing temperature’
ie 15-25C if you process at 20C.
I’ll have to check.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 6th November 2019, 08:41 PM
Friend

There may be an argument for keeping film liquids i.e. dev, stop, and fix within a few degrees of each other for the sake of the emulsion but if you are developing film the developer has to be about 20 degrees C and it is likely that unless the darkroom temperature is way below 20 and getting uncomfortably low then stop and fix will be within a few degrees of that

The danger with some makers' emulsion is that if the wash water is straight out of a cold tap in winter so may be 15 degrees colder, then that emulsion might be subject to a temperature "shock"

I cannot recall what Ilford states about film liquids range if it says anything but clearly for paper it would not appear to see a problem with its paper emulsion being in 20C then plunged into as little as 5 degrees C

For what is worth I keep my film wash water, using the Ilford method and a 3L container of water at about 1 degree of the rest of the chemicals but have not seen a problem when the water for paper washing is about 10 degrees C lower.

Mike
Old 7th November 2019, 07:36 AM
Moderator & Keeper of the Calendar

From the Ilford information on their site the following is quoted for Washing on their latest Film Processing Chart.:

"Where a non-hardening fixer such as RAPID FIXER or HYPAM has been used, wash the film in running water for 5-10 minutes at a temperature within 5°C/9°F of the processing temperature. To aid rapid, even drying, after washing fill the tank with water and add ILFORD ILFOTOL Wetting Agent (1+200) and give the tank a final 5 inversions."

So it is 5 degrees C lower than the processing temperature. That would indicate 15 degrees minimum wash water temperature if you process at 20 degrees.
Old 8th November 2019, 11:55 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post

Terry S
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmuir View Post
It’s in my mind that the recommendation is ‘within 5 degrees of the processing temperature’ ie 15-25C if you process at 20C.
I’ll have to check.
Alex
I stand corrected Alex.

I was thinking of RC paper washing, when I mentioned 5C degrees, with as you say, wash water for film should be approximately 5C degrees either way of the chemical temperature.

Terry S
Old 11th December 2020, 08:05 PM
Friend

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nat Polton View Post
I cannot match Richard for longevity. I only started keeping records in 1982, before that all my negatives were bagged and jumbled in a box with all the rest. Not even a date on the negative sleeve.

So from 1982 that is at least 37 years they have lasted well. Examined with a 10x loupe, all OK. No stains etc..

I have another box of old family negatives taken by aunts and uncles on their box cameras and folders. Lots of these were developed in the back rooms of local chemist shops and quite a few have not stood the test of time. Chemical crystals formed on some many years ago.

I would definitely recommend keeping good records to all who are starting out in photography.

Cheers all.
.................................................. .........................................
There was quite a bit of interest in this method of film washing a while ago.

Well worth having a read.

Cheers.
Old 11th December 2020, 10:07 PM
Friend

SORRY
The last post of mine here should have been in a different thread.

My computery skills need improving.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies