Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 22nd November 2020, 06:12 PM
Friend

Just finished printing my entry for the next print exchange, as soon lose "darkshed" as it becomes Christmas light central, yes I'm one of those Xmas light people, but no where near as OTT as many.

Ian
Old 25th November 2020, 05:05 PM
Friend

I've been printing a batch of 10x8s from a recent trip to the Isle of Arran. I've been trying out the new Ilford Multigrade RC de Luxe paper. I can see it becoming my main paper as it's lovely! I usually use FB papers but am increasingly concerned about water use (we've recently had a meter fitted!). In terms of image quality it's up there with FB Classic which I'll now save for exhibition prints. I'll put some scans in the Albums later.
Old 27th November 2020, 11:28 AM
Friend

I’ve been getting to grips with some Fomatone MG 133 - the velvet surface. It’s quite close to the old Record Rapid 119 lustre which was my favourite surface. The pebbly grain on the surface of the Fomatone is slightly smaller than that of RR’s 119 but it has the same appealing sparkle when it catches the light. Quite a yellowish emulsion that takes a bit of getting used to but very nice stuff overall.

Shame it seems that the 133 surface is no longer being made, leaving the 131 gloss and 132 semi-matt behind. I think I read somewhere that the issue with some papers disappearing off the shelves is down to the actual paper substrate no longer being made. Personally, I’d make that a hanging offence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 29th November 2020, 04:32 PM
Friend

After calibrating my Analyser to Adox MCC 110 & Ilford FB Warmtone I made my first four FB prints ever. Well, that's something different. RC has it's own merits, but for the most serious work, which could somehow be published (even if it's only one copy of a book for myself), this will be it.
Frank
Old 29th November 2020, 09:12 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Archer View Post
I've been printing a batch of 10x8s from a recent trip to the Isle of Arran. I've been trying out the new Ilford Multigrade RC de Luxe paper. I can see it becoming my main paper as it's lovely! I usually use FB papers but am increasingly concerned about water use (we've recently had a meter fitted!). In terms of image quality it's up there with FB Classic which I'll now save for exhibition prints. I'll put some scans in the Albums later.
I've put some scans of the above prints into my albums. I'd value feedback. http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...hp?albumid=675
Old 12th December 2020, 07:59 PM
Friend

Default B&W Session

I have just finished a session printing B&W on my last stocks of Kentmere fine print in 12x16 sheets. This is the first opportunity I have had to compare Kentmere with the new Ilford MGV.

Speed-wise there is virtually nothing between them, the Ilford seems to have a wider gamut at least at Gd2, it also takes a lot longer for the image to appear and needs longer than the Kentmere to get the best image quality. The negatives I printed all required Gd2 so did not have the opportunity to compare other grades, although a drystone wall in shadow needed Gd4 to keep tones with the Kentmere. With Ilford it was Gd3.

The tone of the blacks on Ilford is a bit warmer, but I actually like both, with the Kentmere being almost completely neutral. I consider 2 x 12x16 and 2x 9.5x12 prints in a 2 hour session good going.
Old 12th December 2020, 09:33 PM
Friend

Just finished printing some key shots from my daughters wedding a couple of weeks ago.

Mike
Old 12th December 2020, 11:26 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpirie View Post
Just finished printing some key shots from my daughters wedding a couple of weeks ago.

Mike
Congratulations, on your daughters wedding, Mike.

I'm sure your prints will be very special.

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 13th December 2020, 01:24 AM
Friend

Congrats from me also Mike ,its that special time when you gain a spare bedroom as I did in my other house and started turning it in to my first permanent darkroom . the other problem I had was I took 5 rolls 36 exp of film at my sons wedding ,and printed up a lot of them twice, one lot for me and one lot for them ,and when you think its all over ,every body else puts there orders in ,it was the hardest time I had as I lost count of how many prints I made , it took me back to when I worked in a darkroom in the 70s and that was all we were doing day in day out .

www.essexcockney.com
Old 13th December 2020, 10:51 AM
Friend

Thanks guys.

I was fortunate to be able to shoot the body of the wedding on one of those cameras that doesn't use film :-) and the "specials" on film.

When i think back to the professional days when weddings were every weekend, not using film but d*****l would have made life sooooo much simpler!

Mike
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies