Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 14th January 2021, 05:57 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
The replies I got on FADU suggested that in theory at least my conclusion was correct but I cannot recall anyone confirming from experience whether this is now the right increase in exposure or at least close to the right increase

So has anyone who is using the under/over the lens Ilford filter tried a grade above grade 3 on the new MG5 paper and if so what was their experience of how much extra exposure this requires?

Thanks

Mike
We've talked about this in a quite recent previous post Mike:

http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...t=13089&page=7

Take a look at my last post #62.

Interestingly, no one else has so far done their own test with MGV, to see if it is similar to my conclusions?

Also the unusual finds, with grades 3, 4 and 5, had me double checking my filters, thinking that I may have replaced the new filters in the wrong under the lens holders recently. But no, having gone back and checked with the small off cuts left of the new filters, I had put the correct ones into the filter holders.

Terry S
Old 14th January 2021, 07:36 PM
Friend

Thanks Terry. I had forgotten about your reply to my earlier post to which you linked and yes so far it would look as if no-one else here has any experience of the necessary exposure increase from grades 3 to 4 and 5.

Mike
Old 14th January 2021, 08:46 PM
Friend

Default Filters

I now always use the B&W enlarger with below the lens filters, but the grading of the paper is such I have never had to use a Gd3. My exposures are usually from 2 downwards. Once the exposure is set for Gd2 (using the Gd2 filter) The variation is only very very slight if at all.

These are my findings but possibly not the official ones.
Old 15th January 2021, 12:00 AM
Friend

Yes John in almost all cases except for "artistic" reasons the frequency of needing more than grade 3 does look to be very small

Nevertheless it is always interesting to know whether the change in ISO speed range for MG5 will be in line with what extra exposure those ISO speeds suggest

I note that Martin is trying for greater than grade 5 so if he used Ilford filters to get him to grade 5 with MG5 he might be able to say what he found in terms of the correct increase in exposure

Mike
Old 15th January 2021, 08:51 AM
Friend

Default Filtration

Taking Ilford at their word, I have no reason to believe otherwise that upwards from Gd 4 there will be change of sensitivity, This was certainly the case with MG4. However as I said before, going the other way I found little difference when using softer filtration below Gd1

I have never tried it, and if you want super high contrast filtration, if your enlarger has colour filters built in and you also have a set of below the lens filters, I wonder if it would be possible to increase the contrast further up the scale from Gd5 by using that below the lens and then introducing a bit more magenta using the dichroic filters from the colour head. It would only take a little bit of experimentation.

Conversley by using the same arrangement use the Gd00 filter below the lens and then add a bit more yellow from the dichroic head. It may help with an otherwise unprintable negative
Old 15th January 2021, 12:41 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
Taking Ilford at their word, I have no reason to believe otherwise that upwards from Gd 4 there will be change of sensitivity, This was certainly the case with MG4. However as I said before, going the other way I found little difference when using softer filtration below Gd1

I have never tried it, and if you want super high contrast filtration, if your enlarger has colour filters built in and you also have a set of below the lens filters, I wonder if it would be possible to increase the contrast further up the scale from Gd5 by using that below the lens and then introducing a bit more magenta using the dichroic filters from the colour head. It would only take a little bit of experimentation.

Conversley by using the same arrangement use the Gd00 filter below the lens and then add a bit more yellow from the dichroic head. It may help with an otherwise unprintable negative
Good point John and in the grade 5+ area what you suggest was also on Uwe's list for Martin's need for this but it would seem logical that it should work in the opposite direction.

Mike
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies