Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 21st January 2021, 07:49 PM
Friend

Thanks all I think we can conclude that it is slightly heavier but I agree that at 5 grammes this is no more than a marginal advantage over the old stuff and the real improvement is in the new emulsion

I too am a little puzzled as to why it was announced as soon as it was if Ilford was not ready to do it in all sizes and surfaces and to have set in motion it s delivery to all its retailers

Pure speculation on my part now but the fact that the announcement was set back by a week suggests to me that this might be the tip of the iceberg in that originally a couple of months ago or even more it attempted to put in place its roll-out plan and then events connected to Covid took over both in production and distribution.

When it became clear that this was the case then it felt it was better to announce a week or so late with very limited stocks than simply say nothing, given that Tim Rudman had already mentioned a new paper and no doubt other parties involved in the plan knew something of it as well, so rumour and speculation would have taken over which wasn't in Ilford's interest. Better Ilford announce it rather than leave it to other parties to announce it by the back door

Mike
Old 23rd January 2021, 07:13 PM
Friend

I have found the new Portfolio listed at Silverprint, but not in stock, but the prices are, for me , quite a surprising, 9 1/2 by 12, 50 sheets, it is more expensive than MGFB Classis, which is £ 59 22 for 50 sheets compared to £ 67 89 for the Portfolio, I haven't as yet checked other prices but it seems very expensive to me,
Richard
Old 29th May 2021, 08:37 PM
Friend

I touched upon this aspect when I participated a few months ago but can I ask; has anybody here tried to use the template that Ilford now provide for drawing-in the lines on the back for an address and the "weather fine , wish you were here" correspondence?

I think I said something like "no big deal" that Ilford no longer prints on the back but tonight I suddenly recalled that I had tried to write in the back of RC paper in the past and it took an age for the writing to dry enough not to smudge

So has anybody tried and if so is there an ink that works OK?

Ikford did do a short video which seems to suggest that any pen might be OK but that hasn't been my experience now I think about it

The alternative is Terry's solution which is a printed template designed and printed then glued to the back but that presumably needs Desk Top Publishing which I don't have nor as a consequence, the skills for to do it

Thanks

Mike
Old 30th May 2021, 05:02 AM
Friend

RC paper has a slightly rough, but plastic covered back. Hard to write here. Biro works fine, ink worrks but needs some time to dry. Pencilw don't work. I have found a type which works. I use it for marking contact sheets. It is Stabilo 8008 (Paper*Glass*Plastic*Metal).
Old 30th May 2021, 12:12 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwe Pilz View Post
I have found a type which works. I use it for marking contact sheets. It is Stabilo 8008 (Paper*Glass*Plastic*Metal).
Just checking it seems to be a new form of chinagraph pencil, which previously had a waxy type lead, but the newer ones look more like ordinary pencils, but with the ability to write on just about any (but especially) shiny surface.

The only downside, is that it's not a permanent pencil, for as stated, 'The high-quality pigments offer good, solid color that can be easily wiped off of surfaces with a damp cloth.' So I'm thinking that they might suffer going through the postal system:

https://www.stabilo.com/com/products...s/stabilo-all/

Also, I haven't been able to find the new Ilford postcard template as yet, but the following link (and I'm sure they'll be lots of others) gives you pre-sized templates:

https://www.cloudlabels.co.uk/label-templates/

Terry S
Old 30th May 2021, 12:49 PM
Friend

Have you tried a Sharpie pen?

Tony
Old 30th May 2021, 01:25 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Marlow View Post
Have you tried a Sharpie pen?

Tony
What are these, Tony? The word Sharpie gets used a lot but I have never seen a description of what distinguishes a sharpie from say a ball-point?

I take it that sharpie is a generic term for a pen that may be made by different companies but in the rows of pens on any stationer's store how do I identify them?

Uwe's stabilo sounds as if it meets the "write on any surface" requirement but as Terry says lack of permanence worries me unless it can only be wiped off by rubbing with a cloth and not handling or sweaty hands

Mike
Old 30th May 2021, 01:44 PM
Friend

Terry, your link looks useful. I take it that these are labels you buy that are perforated that you then simply peel from the backing and stick to the postcard?

You can then draws lines and write the correspondence with any pen as it is ordinary paper you are writing on write so getting over the problem of the lack of adsorption of the Portfolio back?

Thanks

Mike
Old 30th May 2021, 02:30 PM
Administrator

Sharpie is a brand name, but some people use it as a generic term - especially in the US - for what we used to call a felt-tipped pen - or a marker pen. They tend to be better quality than the generic ones you get in Tesco etc (but Tesco do sell the Sharpie brand too).
Old 30th May 2021, 03:54 PM
Friend

That’s the one Bob it is basically a felt tip in varying thicknesses I have them in fine which is a bit thicker than a ball point and this week I found some extra fine in Wilkiinsons which are more like a ball point thickness. On the back of rc paper it dries almost instantly smudge free and is permanent even when washed.

Tony
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies