Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - Large Format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 1st May 2015, 02:30 PM
Friend

Thanks Alan, I like that idea.
I hope to be making the the lens panel this weekend.
David
Old 1st May 2015, 08:42 PM
Friend

Hi David,

Would if I could but don't have a digital camera or a scanner or a mobile phone *** I seem to manage nicely without !!

But to be more lucid I have two of the mono rails and one has the front standard detached from the rail and the bellows which make the glueing straight forward.

The lathe I use has a four jaw chuck so I can off center the center up or down in the ally plate to cut out the hole.

Funnily enough for me the time consuming bit is cutting the two notches at the bottom of the plate, I never seem to have the right file. I have used a modelers fret saw with card board padding in the jaws of the vice.

I buy my O rings from the local engineering store, I take the front standard down and rifle through the rings until find a good fit to step in the standard.

Regards

Rob
Old 3rd May 2015, 12:09 AM
Friend

Hi Folks, sorry to butt in on this thread. I should have a intrepid 4x5 soon from kickstarter which takes linhof style boards, I have two metal ones and both holes are off center,is this the norm for linhof type. I have three different size lenses,one linhof will fit one lens but I'll need to make two from wood for the other lenses, the off center holes perplexing me,they don't seem that much smaller than my sinar boards which the lenses are attached to now.
Old 3rd May 2015, 10:44 AM
Friend

Yes, the holes are usually offset from the centre. However, it is possible to find undrilled boards and occasionally boards with a centred hole.

Most lenses have sufficient coverage which makes the offset hole a minor problem.
Old 9th March 2018, 08:33 PM
Friend

I've just had a go at making my first lens board. I acquired an unmounted 270 Tele-Xenar. This requires a Size 2 panel (52.5mm hole).
It turns out these are not nearly as common as 0,1 or even 3.
Linhof studio can provide a new blank for me to drill myself, for just slightly more than I paid for the lens.
I cut a 97 x 99 mm piece of 3.6mm ply. Bored a hole with my best-fit hole saw which is marked 51mm. Actually proved exactly right, so the 52.5mm hole must be a bit generous.
Feathered the edges with sharp blade, and sanded. Inside painted matte black, outside will get clear varnish when dry.
Not as technically perfect as a sexy new Linhof panel, but I can shoot tomorrow, and saved the cost of a box of film.

I'll report any failings in the construction or design.
Promise.

Last edited by skellum; 9th March 2018 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Spellin'
Old 10th March 2018, 09:33 AM
Friend

I have mentioned this before but do not press the subject because it is in away advertising and if it is a crossing of a line please delete.
For Reference I can supple an ABS plastic board 3 mm thick to the size needed. We supply these to bikers from time to time for repairs. Prices start from £7 inc p&p.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 10th March 2018, 12:51 PM
Friend

Sorry Mitch- I'd missed that information or I'd have come straight to you.
I went with ply because it was on hand- one of the benefits of being in the middle of renovating a house is having a generous supply of off-cuts and oddments, and more tools than I've ever owned before.
PM on its way.
Old 12th March 2018, 09:29 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by photomi7ch View Post
I have mentioned this before but do not press the subject because it is in away advertising and if it is a crossing of a line please delete.
For Reference I can supple an ABS plastic board 3 mm thick to the size needed. We supply these to bikers from time to time for repairs. Prices start from £7 inc p&p.
Sorry gents I have the price wrong it should say £10 +p&p I had forgotten that the price had gone up from the 1st Jan the first time in years.

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 12th March 2018, 09:32 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellum View Post
Sorry Mitch- I'd missed that information or I'd have come straight to you.
I went with ply because it was on hand- one of the benefits of being in the middle of renovating a house is having a generous supply of off-cuts and oddments, and more tools than I've ever owned before.
PM on its way.

I'm with you there Colin I would have done exactly the same. Otherwise it go's in the bin most of the time.
Have sent you a return PM.

Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies