Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > Auctions of Interest

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 2nd March 2018, 09:59 PM
Friend

Default rear opening rucksack

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lowepro-F...sAAOSwUg9aiEFT

Did not know this style of rucksack existed, it makes sense , especially when you have to put your rucksack down on the wet/muddy ground. With a front opening rucksack its easy to get mud and crap all over your back after putting your sack on the ground in order to open the front. Rear opening also makes it harder for someone to pilfer from your rucksack when you are wearing it. Anyone know of larger rucksacks designed this way other than the Lowepro Flipside range?
Old 2nd March 2018, 10:22 PM
Friend

You should check the Lowepro range. They may do larger models.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 2nd March 2018, 11:06 PM
Friend

This is the biggest I know of with that design.
http://fstopgear.com/products/packs/shinn
You should check out the rest of their range for a similar feature.

Just last year, I ultimately decided on the lowe PRO TREKKER 650 AW.

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 3rd March 2018, 09:34 AM
Friend

Most large format camera users in another forum recommend the f-stop range, where the Tilopa model fits well for 4x5" equipment. It is advisable to try them in a store, if they really fit well when fully packed with your favourite equipment.

Cheers, Frank
Old 3rd March 2018, 11:04 AM
Print Exchange Manager

I have got a Peak Design 30l back pack which I plumped for when its development was being crowd funded. What happened when that was going on? The Brexit Vote!! which meant that the already pretty expensive bag jumped by 30% before they extracted the money from my bank. Still, no regrets.

Good bag - good compartmentalisation and access and as large as I can now manage and very comfortable to wear when fully loaded. Only niggle is that with the side opening there is a danger of water getting in the bottom when putting down onto wet ground.
Mike

Last edited by MikeHeller; 3rd March 2018 at 11:05 AM. Reason: Correction
Old 3rd March 2018, 01:27 PM
Friend

A back opening rucksack?! It really is one of those doh! moments. It's such an obvious solution, I'm surprised that it hadn't been thought of before!

Problem for me is, that I have too many variations of photo rucksacks already, which stops me even thinking about buying yet another one - how ever good they are.

Terry S
Old 3rd March 2018, 03:16 PM
Friend

Default Convenient Rucksacks

I used to have one many years ago branded by Fotima - does the company still exist?

This was split into two parts, 33% for camera gear and 66% for other stuff such as waterproofs, sandwiches, etc. The camera gear was in the base, secured to the upper section by a zip fastener which ran along one side the long edge at the back and the other side. Undo this and flip the top forward and you had access for all I needed to carry.

It was large enough to hold a Mamiya 645 and 2-3 extra lenses, hoods etc. I wish I still had it because it was so convenient to carry and use. Sadly the zip that held the two sections together were not man enough for the job.
Old 3rd March 2018, 05:55 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
I used to have one many years ago branded by Fotima - does the company still exist?

This was split into two parts, 33% for camera gear and 66% for other stuff such as waterproofs, sandwiches, etc. The camera gear was in the base, secured to the upper section by a zip fastener which ran along one side the long edge at the back and the other side. Undo this and flip the top forward and you had access for all I needed to carry.

It was large enough to hold a Mamiya 645 and 2-3 extra lenses, hoods etc. I wish I still had it because it was so convenient to carry and use. Sadly the zip that held the two sections together were not man enough for the job.
I still have and use this bag regularly. It's been going for years and while it's not the highest quality the concept works exceedingly well.

- Minor White, 1950
Old 4th March 2018, 10:23 AM
Friend

I have been looking for a long time for a reasonably priced backpack to be able to carry my monorail camera which sports an 18'' rail. All big enoug backpacks that were up for the task were in the 250-500 € price-range which I couldn't justified. Finally I found this Lowepro rear opening rucksack: https://www.lowepro.co.uk/brands/low...ackpack/pd275/
that I got on sale for 50€ (from 100€) My Linhof fits in nicely, but there is not much room left for anything but a couple of film holders and a meter:

A bit of warning though - there is absolutely no padding exept on the closing lid which touches your back.
Old 4th March 2018, 10:39 AM
Friend

Tamrac bags may also be worth looking into.

- Minor White, 1950
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies