Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 3rd April 2020, 08:57 PM
New User

Default LPL 6600 Enlarger

Hello,

First post here - hoping for some advice.

I picked up an LPL 6600 Condenser Enlarger about ten years ago and haven't got round to using it until now...

It's just got a British mains plug coming out the back - does it need a transformer? I'll need to get a timer too.

Thanks
Old 3rd April 2020, 09:12 PM
Friend

Look at the voltage of the bulb and whether it is 230v AC mains or 12v DC one
I think firstcall sell LPL enargers, i have the LPL7700 with the kodak/ilford multigrade filters built in and thats has a tranformer that takes it down to 12v
Old 3rd April 2020, 09:17 PM
Friend

http://www.khbphotografix.com/LPL/LPL6600Cond.htm

At the bottom of the page it says 230v 75w opal lamp
The US has 120v/60hz we have 230v/50hz so it must be that one
Give firstcall a call
Old 3rd April 2020, 09:26 PM
Friend

Welcome to FADU, Hopper. I am not familiar with your enlarger but I am sure several of the members here will be. I'll be interested in how it works myself

Very old condenser enlargers such as the Gnome use normal voltage household bulbs so it is simply a question of plugging the enlarger into the mains but I suspect that the LPLs will be more complicated than that

Mike
Old 3rd April 2020, 09:37 PM
Friend

I have just seen such an enlarger for sale on the U.K. e-bay and it has the simple 3 square pin plug so the bulb in it should be of the 240v variety and it can be plugged straight into the mains

Yes a timer will be useful but a kitchen digital timer, if you have such a thing will work fine on its countdown mode until you get one. Even "elephants" or "thousands" will work

Mike
Old 4th April 2020, 07:15 AM
Friend

pretty much every condenser enlarger uses 240 volt, no transformer needed,so it should just plug in and go, I have, in many years ,have used a variety of condenser enlargers and have never needed a transformer,enlargers with built in filters, either mg filters or colour filters, use a halagen bulb need a transformer, but ypour enlarger has a 75 watt enlarger bulb so you should be fine, and welcome to fadu
Richard
Old 4th April 2020, 07:31 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy View Post
http://www.khbphotografix.com/LPL/LPL6600Cond.htm

At the bottom of the page it says 230v 75w opal lamp
The US has 120v/60hz we have 230v/50hz so it must be that one
Give firstcall a call
Calling firstcall which is in UK and from your comments I am assuming you are in the USA I feel will not be a help. The fitting of the bulb is also a question, does the base of the bulb have a bayonet or a screw and what do you normally use in wherever you live. Whatever it is you should be able to get a bulb to fit for a supplier in your country.

As an update think about changing the bulb for an LED version. They will last longer and not change colour over their working life. They will also run cooler, as well which is a definite bonus if your enlarger has a glassless negative carrier. You should be able to get an equivalent in the LED version. Unlike ordinary tungsten version the LED bulbs tend to be a little smaller than the original which is also a slight bonus.
Old 4th April 2020, 12:22 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
As an update think about changing the bulb for an LED version. They will last longer and not change colour over their working life. They will also run cooler, as well which is a definite bonus if your enlarger has a glassless negative carrier. You should be able to get an equivalent in the LED version. Unlike ordinary tungsten version the LED bulbs tend to be a little smaller than the original which is also a slight bonus.
I can't quite remember the exact thread John, but there was one not long ago about replacing bulbs with LED ones.

If I recall correctly, it was recommended to get a daylight rather than a warm version of the bulb. At what K this is exactly I'm not sure.

I did buy one for my enlarger from B&Q as a backup, for when the current bulb does, eventually go.

I'll try and find it amongst the threads that I've replied to and try and come back with a link.

Terry S

PS It turns out that there have been a few threads over the years about LED bulbs, but this is the one that I was thinking about:

http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...light=LED+bulb

Last edited by Terry S; 4th April 2020 at 12:29 PM.
Old 4th April 2020, 01:58 PM
Friend

Hi Hopper I had the 7700 condenser enlarger yes they run of the mains ,no transformer needed …...welcome to fadu
Old 4th April 2020, 03:01 PM
Friend

it was the warm 2700K that I found to be the best, I use the 2700 K 14.5 watt bulb from B@Q,their own dial brand,I am still using the same bulb and still working well to give me great results, other advantage is it is brighter than the standard bulb and much cooler
Richard
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies