Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 17th August 2020, 10:54 AM
Friend

Default FB Print Drying problems

Is any one else having trouble drying their FB prints at the moment.

The weather conditions here are not favourable - light winds, warm, very humid with regular rain and thunderstorms.

I am having to leave all my prints in my film dryer with added heat - the fan alone (which is usually enough) doesn't get them dry.

I am left with slightly damp prints and soft emulsion which takes ages (circa 24 hrs) to dry to a reasonable level.

Anyone else facing similar problems ?

Martin
Old 17th August 2020, 11:21 AM
Friend

I do believe it's taking longer and it feels like there's more moisture and higher humidity in and around the house.

I think it's always best to leave prints until they're bone dry which can be a hassle if I have a lot of prints in a session or over a very short period of time.
It's a nightmare if dust or debris falls onto the delicate, damp surface and either stains the print or welds itself insitu.

These days, I'm also not over washing my prints which seems to prevent "stretching" the paper and avoids the fine creases at the edges once flattened in my press.

All told, I still prefer the slight fibrous and porous texture of fb paper above that of rc even though its handling is more demanding especially when wet.

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 17th August 2020, 11:58 PM
Friend

Default Drying Fibre Prints

I seem to be someone who has never had some of the common complaints associated with B&W - don't ask me why, cos I don't know.

It is a while since I used fibre paper because of the cost factor, (Even more so since the advent of MG5) but to get the prints perfectly dry, I used to iron the back of a print with the setting of the iron on the lowest point.
The benefits are two fold, it can get rid of annoying wrinkles and let the print dry almost flat, and the edges are also smoothed out. It sounds brutal, but when you consider the heat from a hot bed press is far greater than the iron, you can realise it will do little damage.
Old 18th August 2020, 03:52 PM
Friend

I’m going to try that, John, next time I use FB paper. I have a couple of those heated dryers with the cotton aprons, but I’m never that keen on using them. The electrics are a bit antiquated.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 19th August 2020, 06:12 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmuir View Post
I’m going to try that, John, next time I use FB paper. I have a couple of those heated dryers with the cotton aprons, but I’m never that keen on using them. The electrics are a bit antiquated.
Alex

AAAAARGH NO NO NO fixer contamination.
Old 19th August 2020, 06:52 AM
Friend

I love the weight and texture of fibre papers, and use them most of the time.

http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...read.php?t=315

I don't quite do this: I tape my prints to a clean window, usually the dining room as it faces North and doesn't get direct sun which might dry them too fast.
I drain them, then slap them on the window for 10 minutes to let surface water run off before taping them down. Dust doesn't settle on them as they're vertical, and they dry beautifully flat. It does mean I have to print with a slightly wider border, and after drying I trim away the taped edges with a sharp Stanley knife.
Anyone on here who had a FB print from me in the exchanges, this is how they were handled. I have also ironed them, but I found that the prints flattens OK but had a tendency to curl, so needed ironed then popped under some weight as they cooled again.
Lastlt, be aware even well flattened FB prints can sometimes take on a curl when the humidity changes, so mind how you store them.
Old 19th August 2020, 07:31 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanannan View Post
AAAAARGH NO NO NO fixer contamination.

Don’t worry,Tony! They’re safely lost at the back of a shed, and likely to stay there 😎
Alex

Old 19th August 2020, 08:44 AM
Friend

Drying FB papers - my way....

After wash drain off surplus water and place on one of my print dryers - aka cheap jumper dryers (nylon mesh type on a frame).

When dry and curly - under a pile of books for 24 hours, or whatever, until perfectly flat.

Make selection and mount - finish.

I have been doing this for years with no issues at all. Just keep an eye on the mesh on the lumper dryer/s and give it a wipe now and again.

Neil.

Neil Souch

Last edited by B&W Neil; 19th August 2020 at 08:53 AM.
Old 19th August 2020, 09:36 AM
Friend

After the wash I peg them back to back, peg on each corner, on the line across my darkroom, leave them over night, or until dry, never to curly, put them face to face between 2 mounting boards then put my full paper boxes on them for 3 or 4 hours until flat, select the best and mount them, never failed yet
Richard
Old 19th August 2020, 10:51 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Gould View Post
After the wash I peg them back to back, peg on each corner, on the line across my darkroom, leave them over night, or until dry, never to curly, put them face to face between 2 mounting boards then put my full paper boxes on them for 3 or 4 hours until flat, select the best and mount them, never failed yet
Richard
My method too, as suggested in the Goldfinger catalogue many moons ago, I flatten my prints between two sheets of museum board in my dry mounting press.

Click image for larger version

Name:	GF.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	206.3 KB
ID:	3853

Last edited by vanannan; 19th August 2020 at 11:11 AM.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies