Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 5th September 2020, 07:33 AM
Friend

Default New Ilford Multigrade RC

I’ve been using the calibration settings RH Design give for the new Multigrade RC and when you go above Grade 3 the time increases but the LEDs remain stationary?
this seems odd to me.
Old 5th September 2020, 10:36 AM
Friend

The calibration settings for the new MG5 given by RH designs for the paper are hopelessly out, I tried them and all I got was overexposed paper, it makes the new paper one of the slowest around but in truth the paper is fairly fast, I had to calibrate the analyser myself to get the settings that work, I can post my own setting's on here if it is of any help
Richard
Old 5th September 2020, 10:56 AM
Friend

Hi Richard,
Would be glad to see your settings, although I know that everyone has to calibrate his own processing of any paper.
Frank
Old 5th September 2020, 11:29 AM
Friend

Hi Frank, these setting should give you a very good starting point, the RH settings are so far out out as to useless,
Offset grade 00 +1
grade 0 0
grade 1 -2
grade 2 -2
grade 3 -4
grade 4 -8
grade 5 -16
Contrast
grade 00 160
grade 0 130
grade 1 110
grade 2 90
grade 3 70
grade 4 60
grade 5 50

These are so different to the RH version for instance their 00 is -39 and rheir 5 is -3, and for contrast 5 is 141 and their 3 is 141' makes the paper very slow,
and as a point of interest I calibrated my analyser for pre harman Kentmere RC, this about 20 years ago, and the settings for MG5 is exactly the same number to number for old Kentmere RC, makes me wonder
Richard
Old 5th September 2020, 03:35 PM
Friend

thanks Richard i will have a go with these too. i also found the paper to be fast with exposures of 10-15 sec reducing to 2-3 sec.
Old 5th September 2020, 05:06 PM
Friend

Your welcome Bill, these produce lovely prints for me, I have found that I often need to stop the lens right down to get times that I can work with for dodging/burning, and with my trials I have never used less than 4 stops down, other wise the time is too short for dodging, and also this paper tones beautifully in sepia, exactly the same as the pre harman Kentmere RC paper, I have put some prints up in Albums made on MG5 that I have toned, the scans do not show it at it's best, they never do, but they give an idea of how the paper tones
Richard
Old 7th September 2020, 02:16 PM
Friend

Just had a go with your calibrations and they work great with my M670 BW and colour enlargers. Good print the first time and LEDs indicating off black and off white properly. Excellent.

I tried calibrating about a year ago and just got confused with all the test strips. Also the main reason i bought the Analyser about 3 years ago is that i have trouble determining which strip is the right exposure when they are quite close.

i emailed RH designs saying that the LEDs do not move when changing from Grade 3 to 4 to 5 when using their calibration and they confirmed this is correct. However, this appears to negate these three grades completely.
Thanks again
Bill
Old 7th September 2020, 02:33 PM
Friend

Hi Bill, glad that these calibrations work for you, this only the second time I have calibrated the anaylser/pro myself, and last time was soon after I got mine at least 20 years ago, and that was for the old, pre harman Kentmere RC, and as it turned out I needn't have bothered as the calibration's were exactly the same for the old kentmere, down to the last dot,
Richard
Old 7th September 2020, 03:18 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Sell View Post

i emailed RH designs saying that the LEDs do not move when changing from Grade 3 to 4 to 5 when using their calibration and they confirmed this is correct.
Bill
Bill, did RH Designs give a reason why there is not change to the LEDS. I don't use one but intuitively I'd have thought that in changing grades the LEDs would change

So is the case that on moving from grade 00 -3 they do change but not beyond changes beyond 3

Just as a matter of interest who gave the answer? Do RH Designs have a small team of technical expertise that you are transferred to?

Thanks

Mike
Old 7th September 2020, 05:57 PM
Friend

Thanks, Richard, will use them as starting point, which already will be very helpful.
Frank

Tags
multigrade rc
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies