Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 20th November 2020, 01:20 PM
Friend

Default Fixing enlarger to a wall

I have just installed some new kitchen units in my darkroom (my shed) and now there is insufficient height to place my enlarger (a Durst M670) with baseboard attached.
Does anybody have any advice on how I can attach the enlarger to the wall (resting on the worktop without the baseboard) and sufficient distance away that I can turn the handle to raise and lower the head?
I am thinking of some blocks at the top and bottom (I have 1" to play with, without the baseboard attached) with brackets/ clamps. I don't want to do any permanent drilling holes etc through any part of the enlarger.
Many thanks, David
Old 20th November 2020, 02:14 PM
Friend

Default Enlarger on the wall

I have made a mount in the past so I could elevate an enlarger with a short column to get a greater enlargement and it worked, but it does need care to get it absolute perpendicular in all planes.

I made a platform out of contiboard and supported this on two angled wall brackets which have to be checked to ensure the top supporting sections are 100% level between the two brackets.

The column (less the enlarger head) is then bolted to the supporting platform and mounted onto the the base. This is to make it easier to manage. A 3rd Bracket is fixed to the wall at the back at the same height as the top of the column and exactly central to where the bracket will touch the top of the column.. Some enlargers are already equipped for wall mounting with a flat plate at the top that is already drilled to take a 6mm bolt. My enlarger was one of those, so all I had to do was screw the upper support into the top of the column

The column is then removed and the enlarger head is refitted and the whole assembly remounted onto the base support. The fixings at the base are then fully tightened. The one at the top is left slightly loose so that the column can be adjusted in both the side and front so that it is truly vertical. Use a spirit level. If any adjustment is needed to get this, it can be done by using thin shims made from virtually anything. I have used single washers to even folded card placed between the wall and the bracket.. You have got to be aware that the wall itself may be not 'quite' vertical so some adjustment will almost certainly be needed.
Old 20th November 2020, 03:45 PM
Friend

I have a wall mount that I had made many years ago for an M601 I used rawl bolts, However if there's not enough room for the baseboard this would be worse. Essentially it's a L shape bent piece of metal braced in the scentre and brings the column away from the wall the column holder sits on top.

You need the opposite an L shaped length braced either end so the column holder sits in it.

Ian
Old 20th November 2020, 04:22 PM
Friend

David, I am not familiar with your enlarger but as you seem to be able to remove the column from its baseboard, would it be possible to simply do this then attach the column directly to the worktop?

Alan
Old 20th November 2020, 06:42 PM
Print Exchange Manager

My Durst M800 is attached to the wall using blocks of wood and aluminium angle iron that have regular circular and elongated holes to take nuts and bolts, that can be cut to size and a suitable framework constructed. They have a name which I have forgotten. The elongated holes allow the enlarger position to be adjusted to be vertical in both planes.
The base board (thick piece of MDF or some such) is also mounted on a frame made from the same angle iron pieces so that it can be set level and solid.
The angle iron being of aluminium is easy to cut and doesn't rust like the similar thing made of iron that I have used in the days when I worked.

Hope that helps.

Mike

Last edited by MikeHeller; 20th November 2020 at 06:50 PM.
Old 20th November 2020, 08:06 PM
Print Exchange Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHeller View Post
My Durst M800 is attached to the wall using blocks of wood and aluminium angle iron that have regular circular and elongated holes to take nuts and bolts, that can be cut to size and a suitable framework constructed. They have a name which I have forgotten. The elongated holes allow the enlarger position to be adjusted to be vertical in both planes.

Hope that helps.

Mike
I have remembered what it is called - Dexion. Just googled it and it still exists although I couldn't find it made of aluminium from a cursory search.

Mike
Old 20th November 2020, 09:39 PM
Friend

Dexion was a trade name for warehouse shelving and was usually made from steel.
Old 21st November 2020, 08:37 AM
Friend

The issue is the Dexion needs to be quite close to the bench in an L position. I'm not sure it's wide enough to take the bit the column fits, I have Dexion as well a Durst column base sitting in my garage so will go check.

It won't fit regular Dexion but the heavier material used in B&Q etc for shelving would. Be simpler to make something with wood.

Ian
Old 21st November 2020, 12:15 PM
Friend

I've been trying to find a wall bracket for my L1200 for years.....if i start making large prints, i may have to knock something together too.

Mike
Old 21st November 2020, 01:07 PM
Friend

Mike, it's possible the wall bracket I have would fit the L1200 but some measurements would be needed. I had it made when I moved into a small darkroom in 1986, I also had a drop bench so I could make quite large pints 30"x24" and larger on rolls of paper.

Ian
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies