Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 1st January 2021, 01:30 PM
Friend

Default besler 23cii

Hello everyone and a happy new year. I'm new to this board and would like to take the time to introcuce myself. I'm across the big pond in the southern part of the us. Been lurking on the board some and like what I see. Just getting back into film and setting up my darkroom and need a lettle info on a Bestler 23cll enlarger. Mainly does it need an external power source and what is the difference between the 23cll and the 23cll xl? Also does anyone know where I can find a manual for the 23cll. Found one for a great price and thinking of buying it . Thanks in advance for all the info and help. Harry
Old 3rd January 2021, 06:22 PM
Friend

Hi Harry, and a very warm welcome to the forum. The Beseler enlargers are not so common on this side of the pond even so I will do my best to help with your queries.

My understanding is that the XL version is simply a taller model and therefore capable of making larger prints. Think in terms of larger than 20"x16".

Diffuser enlargers, those with colour heads, normally have transformers. Condenser enlargers can usually be plugged directly into the mains via a timer. Some have stabilizers but these are not essential.

A copy of the manual can be downloaded from the following website;
http://www.jollinger.com/photo/enlargers/index.html

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 3rd January 2021, 09:03 PM
Friend

Hello Harry,
I am on my second 23Cii, this one being the XL version. Marty is exactly right - the need for a power supply depends on the head you have. Mine is a condenser and does not need special power...plug and play. I'm not sure about diffusion head, but there were also third party cold light heads made for the 23C that needed a special power supply. And yes, the XL is exactly the same as regular, but with a taller column...otherwise identical.

Great choice, by the way. Wonderful enlargers. Solid as a rock. And they are still made so parts are always available.

Any more questions, just ask!
Old 3rd January 2021, 11:51 PM
Friend

I used a 23C11 for several years. The C stands for colour - a compartment for colour filters. Good stuff, but the bellows were a bit stiff and tend to work against the friction focussing drive with 50mm lenses in the flat panel. Use the recessed lens panel to overcome this.
Old 4th January 2021, 11:06 PM
Friend

Default besler enlarger

Thanks for the replies,the person that i"m buying it from said that all he did was plug it in.After I receive it and get my darkroom set up I'm sure I will have alot more questions for you.Thanks for the willness to share you info with me.
Old 5th January 2021, 12:45 AM
Friend

Welcome to FADU Harry. No experience with Beselers Despite the knowledge of some other members which is good, this seems to be one piece of darkroom equipment that is almost unique to the U.S.

Mike
Old 5th January 2021, 01:40 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by old harry View Post
Thanks for the replies,the person that i"m buying it from said that all he did was plug it in.After I receive it and get my darkroom set up I'm sure I will have alot more questions for you.Thanks for the willness to share you info with me.
Harry, do you have a picture of the unit you are buying? Maybe a link to an ad? We could help identify the light head on it.
Old 5th January 2021, 11:04 PM
Friend

Default besler 23cii

Don't have a picture but it is the 23cll that has the dichro color head with the filters in the head that you can dial in the amount of Magn. Cyan and yellow as well as just a white light. Hope this helps.
Old 5th January 2021, 11:12 PM
Friend

Ah, so you already know what head is on there. Good one! I was under the impression there was some confusion about that. Hope the unit is in good shape and you like working with it. I rate them quite highly -- not the most polished and sophisticated enlargers, but so solid, robust, and very versatile and adaptable. Great design.
Old 6th January 2021, 11:43 PM
Friend

Default besler enlarger

It was delivered today. Looks as though it hasn't been used much. Can't wait to get it assemble and give it a try. Also I have downloaded the manual and it looks fairly easly to put it together. Again thanks for the help and now the questions will start to come.

Last edited by old harry; 6th January 2021 at 11:45 PM. Reason: spell
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies