Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome printing techniques

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 9th March 2010, 08:53 PM
Friend

Default Jobo Easel

I found this pic on the internet. I have the same easel but haven't worked out how to use it. Is anyone familiar with it?

Thanks!
Old 9th March 2010, 10:07 PM
Friend

Yes I have one. You can do 1 10x8 borderless print or two 5x8 borderless prints by lifting pieces one and four or 4 4x5 prints by lifting each section separately. Each print will unaffected by the other prints as each section is fully protected from the othee sections and you will have one, two or four prints on one 10x8 sheet. If you like borderless prints and use a drum processor such as a Jobo then you get a quicker through-put as you get two 5x8 prints each time in the Jobo drum.

I hope you have been able to follow my explanation. It is easier to actually do it than to to follow my explanation.

It is a nice piece of kit.

Mike
Old 10th March 2010, 07:52 AM
Friend

Thank you Mike. Your explanation makes sense.

Miha
Old 10th March 2010, 10:50 AM
Friend

Miha. I should have added that another advantage of the easel is that you can leave the paper under the covers and if you are making two prints or four from different negs then any focussing can be done with the white section which is at the same level as the inner white sections. Cropping is slightly more difficult as this has to be done on the top white covers so it is not quite the same as the crop on the paper underneath but is very close and may be good enough. The red section operates a lever which raises the paper without the need for trying to put your fingernails underneath the paper.

You could even have borders if you were to cut out a mask of the right size. These days many machine shops and even school and college workshop use laser cutters that will easily cut plastic very accurately.

If you are attempting a 10x8 print then each section can be used for different exposure times( say two per 4x5 section) and different grade settings. All the while you are doing different things you can be certain that no light is penetrating to the paper underneath. It is a piece of kit that has been well thought through.

Mike
Old 10th March 2010, 05:24 PM
Friend

A well thought product indeed! The thing is that the easel came with my Kaiser enlarger bought second-hand in 1993 (or there about) and has been neglected ever since.

Thanks again!

Miha
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies