Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Site Forums > News and Announcements

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 12th May 2011, 06:53 PM
Friend

Default Mr Cad 'Sale'

I visited Mr Cad in Croydon today and he told me that his store will be moving in the fairly near future. He is moving a lot of stock to make life easier for the move.

What will interest FADU members is that he has sorted out a load of SLR bodies Pentax, Nikon, Olympus and others, various models and has price them at about £10.00 each, as seen, no guarantee. I suggest they may be useful as spares the 3 or 4 I looked at seem to be working OK although a bit dusty. I suggest this is for visitors only to ensure you are happy with your purchase. There are also many point and shoot type cameras for £5.00.

He also informed me he has a load of bromide paper Kodak and Ilford (3 tons of the stuff!) to get rid of, including some linen based 'paper' and some large sheets 20 x 16, 20 x 24, 30 x 40 and larger. I don't know the prices on these.

Unfortunately he prices most of his goods rather expensively compared with purchasing on Ebay and some other sellers.

He does seem to have more 'sales' than most firms but recently does seem to be moving a lot of stock around. My advice is go and have a look if you are near but make sure you are willing to pay his price and make sure the item you want is acceptable to you. Be very careful buying any item unseen over the 'net or the telephone.

nn

John Wills

www.londontramways.net
www.southernrailway.net
Old 12th May 2011, 10:30 PM
Friend

Also be aware that because he prices everything so high, if you're buying more than one item, you can usually haggle him down a bit on the prices.
Old 12th May 2011, 10:35 PM
Friend

I am always wary when Mr Cad seems to suddenly find 3 tons of old paper and many old cameras. It is almost as if he is a kind of bumbling eccentric who is anything but business minded and yet when it comes to selling stuff he is anything but bumbling.

I certainly endorse the caveat emptor approach.

Mike
Old 13th May 2011, 03:14 PM
Friend

I am afraid his idea of a bargain and mine differ somewhat. I visited his stall at focus 3 or 4 years ago and was apalled at the prices he wanted for stuff I would not give house room to it was in such poor condition.

On the bromide paper the question has to be asked how has it been stored? I was given some old Kodak paper that was unuseable because of age fogging and gather from others I have spoken to that though a great paper when fresh it did fog rather readily with age.

Paul.
Old 13th May 2011, 03:53 PM
Friend

Indeed, I bought a box of 50 sheets Kodak polycontrast 20x24" that was only a couple of years out of date and it was totally shot. Uneven development blotches and totally useless even for contacts.

Ultimately it was a waste of money, not a great bargain.

Steve
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies