Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 5th February 2012, 07:01 PM
Friend

In my experience Les it is always this time of year when the "oomph" goes out of life in general including things photographic. Resilience can be at a low ebb.

Some bloke from Yorkshire or was that the House of York used to speak of a winter of discontent. He might have been nasty but he was also astute

So you are not alone if that is any consolation and it will pass just as the winter passes.

Mike
Old 5th February 2012, 07:10 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by les dix View Post
Sadly I have been unable to print in the darkroom for several weeks. During the winter there is too much cold and condensation in the garage and I have had to take my enlarger indoors. In fact I am having a pretty frustrating time all round with cameras not working, lack of inspiration etc.
Sorry- had to let it out!

Les
Sorry to hear this Les. Printing is my main source of inspiration and I would hate not being able to do it. I can go without taking a photograph for months, knowing I have plenty of negatives to print.

Is there no possibility of insulating the garage and extending the central heating there?
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 5th February 2012, 08:24 PM
Friend

I haven't had a proper session in a while - plenty of proofing and contacts, but not a useful few hours - it'll probably happen just as the days are getting nicer
Phil
Old 6th February 2012, 09:21 AM
Friend

After years of only being able to contact and proof I've since mid-November last been making 10x8 or 6 and half x 8 and half enlargement from the best of about 5,000 negs shot 2006-9.
I can sometimes get four sessions a week in and am averaging 16-18 prints per session.
The reason for the large number of negs is that I was mainly shooting 35mm rather manically and seem to have gotten a high hit rate.
120 for me in future mostly.
It's a bit like going to work again some days but the satisfaction of seeing something concrete from that period is great.

Print spotting and album assembly is something I'll think about later.
Old 6th February 2012, 12:07 PM
Friend

I am am jealous with envy of all of you. Currently I'm having a lot of construction work done to my house and I've taken the opportunity to relocate my darkroom to a purpose built annexe. It all means I can't print for several months. Such is my addiction, I'm already climbing the walls!

www.davidlingham.uk
Old 6th February 2012, 12:25 PM
Friend

Quote:
Sorry to hear this Les. Printing is my main source of inspiration and I would hate not being able to do it. I can go without taking a photograph for months, knowing I have plenty of negatives to print.

Is there no possibility of insulating the garage and extending the central heating there?
I have to run an electric cable across the garden down to the garage to get power so things are quite primitive. Building projects do not come in to the equation on my photographic budget so I am looking at using the bathroom. It would be interesting to see how people cope with basic/temporary darkrooms but that is perhaps a different thread.

Les

PS Trevor-I am a regular reader of the 'idiotic hat' blog and it was a pleasant surprise to see you there!
Old 12th February 2012, 01:09 PM
Friend

Another joyful session in my darkroom this morning (9.30am to 12.15pm). Printed from three 4x5 negatives on 8x10 Oriental Seagull WT/glossy. 11 prints I'm pleased with, 3 in the waste basket. I can't believe I've got through a box of 100 sheets of 8x10 Seagull since last year. Just taken delivery of another 100 sheets to hopefully finish this project on West Blean Wood which to date consists of 311 negatives, 258 (4x5), 34 (5x7) and 19 (8x10).

Attached pic shows a Nova 12x16 two slot (I also have a 16x20 two slot) which I use just for two fix baths, dev and stop are in trays, plus holding tray before prints go into the main print washer.

The rest of the day will be spent washing and drying, punctuated with eating, drinking, FADU, Facebook and other internet side shows
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nova 2-slot.jpg
Views:	464
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	1330  
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 12th February 2012, 04:41 PM
Friend

Having a relaxing afternoon lith printing negatives of the frozen Surrey countryside taken over the last week. Glad there's a heater in the darkroom!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12022012122.jpg
Views:	467
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	1331  
Old 13th February 2012, 10:11 AM
Friend

well last night I was printing some negs that I took some over 30 odd years ago my favorite b/w film was fp4 I still use fp4 plus but I dont like the base colour of the film, the old fp4 was nearly clear which I think gave more contrast, and more fun to print .they where taken in the 1970s of a funfair some old woodern rides clowns and some live music ,no designer cloths and no satellite dishes on the buildings near buy .
so many negs to print so littile time.
sometimes I wish I would have been more homer sykes than big paul.
maybe in another life????
Old 18th February 2012, 04:34 PM
Friend

I have just spent 3 hours in the darkroom printing some negatives from a new project, started late last year, of found still life taken around the local small harbours, and coast, plus one of a new serious I am just starting of still life around old bottles, 10 prints, and 2 wasted sheets, very relaxing afternoon,
Richard
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies