Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Chemistry > Chemical formulae

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 31st October 2017, 08:45 AM
Friend

Default 510 Pyro Vorsprung Durch Technik

Interesting blog on 510 Pyro

http://experimentelle-fotografie.blo...ntwickler.html

This has been translated from German to English by Google.

I tried 510 Pyro a while back I got results very similar to Pyrocat HD. Measuring the correct amount of Phenidone can be problematic if you do not have accurate scales. If anyone has used 510 Pyro I would be interested in your opinions. I found it very hard to dissolve all the chemicals when mixing it up, I may try Ruediger's method as described on his blog. I had problems getting full shadow detail at box speed with the original 510 Pyro with 0.25g phenidone, will increasing the phenidone to 0.375g give a speed increase?
Old 16th November 2017, 11:21 AM
Friend

I found that it took a while to dissolve, but it did eventually. Like you Norm, I found shadow speed to be distinctly low, significantly lower than with Pyrocat.
Old 15th November 2023, 07:11 PM
Friend

I saw John Finch mixing some up on Youtube the other night. Interesting that he warmed it up to 80°C.

I haven't quite understood yet how 510-Pyro works, when compared to other Pyro formulae. There is no alkaline 'B' solution, and I thought this was necessary to 'activate' the developer and create the staining ?
Old 15th November 2023, 08:37 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark J View Post
I saw John Finch mixing some up on Youtube the other night. Interesting that he warmed it up to 80°C.
I don't know what chemistry equipment you have. I made my first batches using a 1 litre pyrex beaker that stood on a sand bath. The sand bath was stood on the kitchen stove with the extractor hood on full extract.
WARNING. Pyro and domestic kitchens are to be frowned on for health reasons.
I eventually purchased A HEATED MAGNETIC STIRRER.

The comparisons of developers and testing for real film speed by John Finch on his youtube channel Pictorial Planet are well worth looking at.

Cheers.
Old 15th November 2023, 09:03 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark J View Post

I haven't quite understood yet how 510-Pyro works, when compared to other Pyro formulae. There is no alkaline 'B' solution, and I thought this was necessary to 'activate' the developer and create the staining ?
TEA become alkaline when mixed with water. One of the majot issues with TEA is it is extremely viscous at room temperature and almost solid below 20ºC.

Ian
Old 15th November 2023, 10:09 PM
Friend

I have never used either but having read many reports by users on this and other fora, the balance of opinion seemed to favour Pyrocat HD as the better developer

Mike
Old 15th November 2023, 10:42 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
I have never used either but having read many reports by users on this and other fora, the balance of opinion seemed to favour Pyrocat HD as the better developer

Mike
Pyrocat HD is a superb developer, you have seen quite a lot of my work made using it Mike, when I gave a second talk yo East Midlands Monochrome.

It's been my main developer since around 2005, results are so consistent, easy to print.

Ian
Old 16th November 2023, 12:52 PM
Friend

It's OK Nat, I've been using PMK pyro for 25 years, i don't think I'm going to try 510, I was just interested in the difference. Thanks for the info Ian.
You can mix PMK OK in a kitchen, you just have to clear some space, keep tabs on any spillage and clean up afterwards. i wouldn't want to do it with kids around though !
Old 24th November 2023, 03:41 PM
Friend

I have just found this thread and there is a pyro formula designed by Patrick Gainer.
Is this where the idea for 510 Pyro came from?

See the end post.

https://www.photo.net/forums/topic/3...hp5-plus-film/
Old 24th November 2023, 05:02 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Tapscott. View Post
I have just found this thread and there is a pyro formula designed by Patrick Gainer.
Is this where the idea for 510 Pyro came from?

See the end post.

https://www.photo.net/forums/topic/3...hp5-plus-film/
My understanding is that 510 was the brainchild of someone called Jay de Fehr but Ian is probably a better source on such matters

Mike
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies