Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Print Finishing

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 7th April 2011, 09:06 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
Your general view means you have no dilemma and you can display prints however you wish, drawing pins, clothes pegs, blue tack, sellotape, need I go on?
I'm afraid this is not my dilemma per se so it does doesn't answer to the question why there are so many prints mated and framed because they look better that way.

If I were to choose between the original Robert Capa's print (framed and mated) http://www.nytstore.com/Fallen-Soldi...36_p_5941.html and one of the 1936 editions of the French VU magazine, where the reproduction of the same photograph appeared for the first time, I would go for the latter.

Last edited by Miha; 7th April 2011 at 09:10 PM.
Old 8th April 2011, 09:17 AM
Friend

I do believe the the way the print is presented is very important and the window mount is the way I prefer to show my prints.

They do look better unglazed but I now only send prints to exhibitions where the prints will be shown framed and glazed as over the years I've had many mounted but unglazed prints abused by the prodding finger nail and spit marks this spoils them for other people visiting the exhibition.
Miha please show your work the way it suits you, there is no right or wrong way, I do what suits me.
J.

http://real-silver-prints.com/

"I Prefer it in the Dark"
Old 2nd June 2013, 10:59 PM
Friend

The function of a frame around a work of art, whether it is a photograph or a painting, is to contain the energy of the work.

Michael A. Smith
Old 3rd June 2013, 07:30 AM
Friend

Surely the matte or frame is to provide the "window" to the picture; looking in on the idea, emotion, view, or thoughts of the photographer?

Pictures are often framed and matted and only in recent times have unframed canvases been hung on walls. Similar I suppose to the canvas wrapped prints you see of photographs now.

A quick count of our lounge is that all paintings and photographs are framed, 50% of paintings and one tapestry matted, all photographs framed and matted. Not scientific but we do appear to follow the convention.

In truth there is no right or wrong way to display photographs/artwork/paintings/tapestries etc; it is for the artist to decide which medium or method is preferred.

Kind regards,

ft
Old 9th June 2013, 08:01 PM
Friend

Interesting debate, in college we were told to mount them for handling purposes; keeping finger-marks off the print as well as maintaining a flat surface for viewing. Unfortunately the choice was to be only black or white, a point I grumbled at. The mount colour can impact upon the print in terms of what tones we notice more.
As to glazing...well I'd go with the protection theory, as to if it's needed, ask your clients
I guess they are put up on the wall for ease of viewing, though it would be an interesting exhibition if they were just in a 'box' and viewers must interact to sift through them and wander in the room at their leisure.
Old 10th June 2013, 12:25 PM
Friend

I wanted (and still do) want to make a wall in the house made of prints. The idea was to use two huge pieces of Perspex and simply put 10mm bolts around the edges to sandwich the two together, of course, back to backing a great number of prints. I thought something like 12 foot long and then upto the ceiling but the costs were simply frightening. The other was the do a similar thing on any other surface, the kitchen worktfor example. I do know what the OP means however because I too like to pick a print up. I guess you could just mount the prints and pop them in plastic sleeves like the guys on the market stalls. I think prints do look better in a mount, but never been able to "please everyone" wth a single choice of frame. Albums to me are horrible things, as are on computer scans. Sure fire ways of never looking at them again. Yes. A coffee table covered in mounted prints. That's my vote. But then again, damaged corners, bain of my life lol. Solution: Print 3 of each.
Old 15th June 2013, 10:46 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelSmith View Post
The function of a frame around a work of art, whether it is a photograph or a painting, is to contain the energy of the work.

Michael A. Smith
Some of my prints are so lacking in energy that it's only the thought of being mounted that gets them excited.

www.photography-matters.blogspot.com
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies