Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Print Finishing

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 15th February 2012, 06:50 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argentum View Post
What do you think actually makes paper curl, FB or RC?
RC: reduction of polyethylene layer / emulsion / supercoat in size on one side compared to other

FB: swelling and drying don't happen equally in all directions (pulp, gelatine, baryta)
Old 15th February 2012, 07:12 PM
Friend

exactly, so if curl is on gelatin side it indicates that side has dried faster than the other side and in your case that means it stretches/pulls the paper fibres apart which then set with a curl in them. Dry face down which restricts airflow over gelatin and makes gelatin side dry more slowly which equals less curl. Weight of paper also reduces curl towards gelatin a little.
Can't harm to try it.

Otherwise get a Kindermann RC30 (Trockener 30) if you can find one. I think they just stopped making them.
Old 15th February 2012, 07:24 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argentum View Post
exactly, so if curl is on gelatin side it indicates that side has dried faster than the other side and in your case that means it stretches/pulls the paper fibres apart which then set with a curl in them. Dry face down which restricts airflow over gelatin and makes gelatin side dry more slowly which equals less curl. Weight of paper also reduces curl towards gelatin a little.
Can't harm to try it.

Otherwise get a Kindermann RC30 (Trockener 30) if you can find one. I think they just stopped making them.
But RC paper is sandwiched between two layers of polyethylene. The gelatine being coated on top of it. There's no paper fibres-gelatine interaction and no drying-related curl.
Old 15th February 2012, 07:32 PM
Friend

There is also Nova: http://www.novadarkroom.com/product/...per_Dryer.html
but I don't do enough RC to justify it.
Old 15th February 2012, 07:43 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miha View Post
But RC paper is sandwiched between two layers of polyethylene. The gelatine being coated on top of it. There's no paper fibres-gelatine interaction and no drying-related curl.
It must be curly PE then
Old 15th February 2012, 07:47 PM
Friend

Quote:
I have one but it was bundled into a set of stuff I bought secondhand. The new price seems ridiculous. They used to come up secondhand on e-bay but supply seems scarce now.

It's a pity you are so far away Miha. You occasionally see the Ilford heated roller dryer as a collect only secondhand item on the U.K. e-bay as it is quite big and very heavy. It does wet to dry in seconds only and is a bargain compared to the new price of the Nova model

Mike
Old 15th February 2012, 07:49 PM
Friend

Quote:
I have one of those which I don't use if you want to buy one but the Kindermann is a better unit as it uses radiated heat rather than blown hot air. The Kindermann is similar to the old Ilford units. The benefit of them is that they produce a very high gloss finish which the air blown ones don't. If you are not using gloss paper then I guess it makes little difference. Having said that, if you are getting curly prints something is causing it and heat may not be a good idea.
Old 15th February 2012, 07:58 PM
Friend

Thanks for your input, but I prefer simple things, like newspaper sheets
I find things like dryers and 'archival' washers redundant. A good easel and a good stop clock is all I need.
Old 15th February 2012, 08:36 PM
Friend

I think that unless you were printing RC at commercial levels then these dryers are simply not needed, indeed, that is what they were designed for, and if you are having curling issues then the heat would only make things worse. Personally I find RC paper dries quite fast enough hanging on a line it is dry in a matter of minutes.
Richard
Old 15th February 2012, 08:59 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Gould View Post
Personally I find RC paper dries quite fast enough hanging on a line it is dry in a matter of minutes.
Richard
Miha uses ambient room temp drying as well which seems very similar to a hang on a line method and has done this room temp drying previously without problems.

I am not sure we have got anywhere near getting to the problem's cause on a collective basis

I am inclined towards Dave's suggestion that contact with Ilford is worthwhile.

Ilford always seems keen to get to the bottom of any potential quality issues and this may be one

Mike
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies