Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 24th February 2009, 04:03 PM
Friend

Mike, I had loads of dust problems when I first started with 5x4

The dust on a sheet a film at the time of exposure leaves what looks like holes in the emulsion - pin holes as well as the more usual dust particles

I still have dust problems to be honest - but I am more disciplined about cleaning everything before loading my Film Holders – including my washing my hands.

I now keep my Darkslides in individual Ziploc bags inside a Lock & Lock container - but it’s still not enough

I have found it is necessary to give the Film Holder a wipe down before exposing the film and again before unloading it.

I then use an anti static brush to clean the inside & outside of the Film holder before loading with film once again.

I also use a Harrison Changing Tent and wipe the inside of it with a slightly damp clean but well used linen tea towel.

One of the troubles with Changing Tents is they seem to be a one way trap for dust - it gets in (no idea how) and is very difficult to get out

I can see why people are attracted to Readyloads

With a better house keeping regime my dust problems have reduced considerably but I don't think I will ever eliminate them

Tetenal used to sell a range of Spot Pens that had a bleaching pen (Pen 0) to minimise these black dots that show up on your prints – but Tetenal have discontinued the product.

I have always used HP5 - so I know with almost certainty that any problems with the Negs are mine not the manufacturers.

Good luck

Martin
Old 4th March 2009, 04:44 PM
Friend

Thought I'd give a little update on this topic...
I've recntly changed developer (D76) and film to Delta 100, reduced my stopbath dilution and I still have the same problem.
I have bought the pen Trevor recommended which certainly gets rid of the white speck. I've spent the last hour attempting to spot a print with Diaphoto dyes, I think I may need a little more practice though as my print now appears to have a bad case of the acne.
Old 4th March 2009, 04:46 PM
Friend

I also think that Martin may of hit the nail on the head with this one, I thought I kept my whole darkroom practice clean but obviously not.
Old 4th March 2009, 04:53 PM
Friend

Just tell yourself that spotting prints is therapeutic, after all what else would you do with the time. One tip on spotting that I can offer is that you don’t have to obliterate the spot, just disguise it so that it isn’t immediately obvious.
Old 4th March 2009, 05:01 PM
Friend

The annoying part of this whole speck problem is that they only seem to appear in highlight areas where it seems its hardest to spot.
I think I'II save the spotting for rainy days, I kept looking out the window and thinking that I should be out there shooting and not sat inside.
Old 4th March 2009, 06:02 PM
Friend

Mike, I know its no consolation but I was spotting a negative recently with that very pen. Certainly got rid of them printing as black spots but now I have to spot the white ones You can't win, but I find it's the lesser of two evils.

I use Tetenal spotting pens on the prints but sadly I think they've been discontinued

BTW I've found if I brush the dark slide before sliding it out prior to exposure this helps prevent dust from getting on the negative.
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers

Last edited by Trevor Crone; 4th March 2009 at 06:05 PM. Reason: additional info.
Old 5th March 2009, 12:52 AM
Friend

Martin,

As the same here when I first started with 4x5. (Though re: bubble formed pinholes, I soak film in water for about 10 secs before devving so to keep bubbles from forming) Re: dust, I wiped down the plastic holders inside and out with a very slightly damp cloth when I first get new ones, then blew compressed air over every surface of holders and slides. Like you, I use a brush, a Staticmaster to be exact, but I don't use it on the any surface but the emulsion side of the film while I'm loading it. If I do this just prior to going out to shoot, it seems to keep all the negs free of dust except for about 3 of the 12 frames ( six holders). If I wait a week, dust seems to have re-settled on the film again so I know the holders are not dust free. I keep empty and loaded holders in black plastic bags (that paper comes in) inside padded nylon Calumet film holder pouches. The dust problem was greatly reduced by brushing only the entire emulsion side and shooting within hours after.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies