Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Site Forums > Introductions

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 29th September 2015, 10:00 AM
Friend

Default 60+ years of photography

Hi. I developed my first film at the age of 10 in the mid 1950's and have been hooked on photography ever since. I think I have tried nearly everything as it came along from film developement by the seasaw method, Pavelle colour print, E4 and E6 processing both stills and cine, Cibachrome, until ultimately processing colour with the Nova system. Several periods of professional photography ended about 2005 when digital became prominant and I sold off all my equipment. This year I have got back into film having set up a darkroom and bought some of my favourite cameras, Pentax ME Super and Bronica ETRS. The enjoyment is immense.
Old 9th October 2015, 06:11 PM
Friend

You have beaten me by about 6 years. My 1st film was developed inor around 1962 and I never have been far from film although I have dipped my toe in the world of Digital, I am not really impressed with it - too artificial
Old 9th October 2015, 06:25 PM
Friend

I can only claim to have taken my first pictures in the mid 50s but not to have processed anything. I managed to develop a film on or around 1960 at the school camera club but alas we had no real darkroom equipment then so no printing. A great pity as I lost interest and essentially gave up apart from a few holiday snaps until I re-started in 2003 on a night school course.

Mike
Old 9th October 2015, 07:47 PM
Friend

Well I'm a Young Thing by comparison...mid 70s for my first foray into film&darkroom work. Career took over for a couple of decades and then a flirt with digital but now I'm back with film and the darkroom is up and running again and I love it.

NormP I know where you're coming from. The enjoyment of working with things physical as opposed to bits&bytes.

Michael
Old 9th October 2015, 08:33 PM
Friend

started about 71 or 72 and been at it ever since recently tried developing colour film but as I prefer B/W colour bored me and I felt detached from it ,unlike B/W which I love the whole proses from taking the photo to developing and printing and nothing else comes close to the feeling of satisfaction I get from that final print .I have never wanted to get into digital to me its not photography .my wife has a cheap Nikon point and shoot but I haven't got or ever owned a digital camera ,I am a basic PC user and I only know what I need to know , even when it comes to scanning I always make a print and scan that, I am no good at scanning negatives because I don't know how to change or manipulate them ..its a passion that has got in to my being and there is never a day goes by without photography in it ,doing it or reading about it ..

www.essexcockney.com
Old 9th October 2015, 11:01 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanMiguel View Post
Well I'm a Young Thing by comparison...mid 70s for my first foray into film&darkroom work.
Thanks guys, you have made me feel young again

It was the early 80s when i picked up my mum's Voigtlander Brillant TLR and shot a roll of 120 - Still have the camera and negatives somewhere.
Old 10th October 2015, 06:26 AM
Friend

Took a few picture with a 110, in I guess late 70's but was not until early to mid 80's that I bought my first 35mm camera (which I still have and still use).

Only started developing and printing a few years ago.

So much to learn so little time.

Ian
Old 10th October 2015, 09:13 PM
Friend

I just started three years or so ago never having done any photography before to speak of. Only film, B&W. Drawn in by a lifelong love of B&W prints and a fascination with old cameras.
Old 10th October 2015, 09:46 PM
Friend

what is great is there are so many youngsters starting film photography and if some get hooked hopefully there will be a future in film photography .these youngsters are experimenting with old film plastic cameras all different ways to make an image they seem to want to try everything ..the lie that they were sold that the new stuff is good the old stuff is rubbish ,they are seeing through this lie and finding that there was nothing wrong with film and that digital was not a better replacement ..
So I was a old duffer that would not let go of the past ,and now I am a hip with it film photographer dude ....man

www.essexcockney.com
Old 10th October 2015, 10:16 PM
Friend

As often in life, best not to pay too much attention to what others are doing. Crack on with what works for you and enjoy it.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies