Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 7th June 2020, 06:13 PM
Friend

Hi Tony,
That's exactly how I do it with JOBO 2830 & 2840. If you want bigger print size, then 2850. It has all the advantages, which you stated. In a 2830 (4x 5x7" or 2x 8x10" per dev) you only need 100ml. For paper one does not even need a motor base, because the dev times are not long. I have 3 tiny bottles for 125ml. Make notes how many prints of which size I have done to know when to make fresh solutions again. Really easy and convenient. I use a set of trays for washing afterwards.
Frank
Old 7th June 2020, 06:26 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHeller View Post
I think I will stlck with my Nova Toaster.

Mike
Well there is no doubt that the Nova solves all problems of space, increasing chemical longevity and general convenience. The heated ones even give you some leeway if your darkroom get a bit cold in winter

Just a pity that they weren't cheaper but clearly if you are into printing for the long term it is the way to go in my opinion. You can even get into RA4 in the winter

Mike
Old 7th June 2020, 06:46 PM
Friend

Quote:
That's exactly how I do it with JOBO 2830 & 2840.
Hi Frank, yes there are many options to solving a problem and this is just one option which works for many people. There was one well known previous member of this forum who like you found it convienant, easy to do and I used this method when I was printing CIBAchrome and I didn't find it a problem. It doesn't suit everybody and I well remember another previous forum member who spoke with contempt about those upright slotty thinges. We are all different and we make our own choices to do what suites us best.

Tony
Old 7th June 2020, 06:59 PM
Friend

I always wondered what spacemen wore under there space suits .
Old 7th June 2020, 07:17 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Well there is no doubt that the Nova solves all problems of space, increasing chemical longevity and general convenience. The heated ones even give you some leeway if your darkroom get a bit cold in winter

Just a pity that they weren't cheaper but clearly if you are into printing for the long term it is the way to go in my opinion. You can even get into RA4 in the winter

Mike
I bought mine secondhand (from a FADU member) and whilst I prefer tray developing it has enabled me to continue printing despite what appears to be an ever-shrinking house
Old 7th June 2020, 08:15 PM
Friend

The thing to remember about slot processing is they are essentially just upright trays. You can still inspect the print by just lifting it out of the slot.

I used a slotties for years in my previous darkroom for B&W, colour neg and reversal colour work. And sometimes drums for reversal and colour work.

But in my present darkroom, where I have more space and no longer do colour, I have gone back to trays for B&W. I prefer to tone uaing trays and lith print using trays, but I would be quite happy to use drums / slotties if I didn't have the space.

Neil.

Neil Souch

Last edited by B&W Neil; 7th June 2020 at 08:18 PM.
Old 8th June 2020, 05:31 PM
Friend

Just adding that this way is so useful for me, because I only find now and then 1-2 hours for one session in a small room.
Frank
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies