Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 24th February 2020, 12:02 AM
Friend

All things considered, it looks as if I'd be safe setting the film speed to 800 all the time with HP5+

Of course there may be an argument for not doing this in Tombstone Arizona in July where shadows are nearly as black as the baddies' hats but in my neck of the woods I feel I may ignore the overexpose and under-develop rule.

Doc H used to develop films there and never had any customer complaints as I understand it . I mean, would you want to complain?

A bit of humour as weekly black Monday is almost upon us

Mike
Old 24th February 2020, 12:23 AM
Friend

HP5 pushes quite well, I used to push it to 1600 quite regularly in the late 70's however on the release of XP1 in 1980 I switched.

Push processed XP1 and later XP2 (and Plus) gave far higher quality results finer grain, sharpness, and better tonality.

During a business lunch with two Ilford managers and their senior chemist early 1980 we discussed push processing XP2. XP1 had been a slight failure as it needed a non standard C41 development tome and so labs hated it, but Ilford did give C41 push process times.

XP2 has a normal C41 development time but the Ilford dropped publishing any mention of push processing as most labs did not want to do it. Their chemist agreed they knew it could be pushed when I told him I had been doing it anyway.

You have to realise XP1/XP2 ( and their Fuji & Kodak equivalents) were sold as consumer B&W films easily processed by any C41 mini-lab, But they were capable of outstanding results home processed and pushed to higher speed.

I only stopped using XP2 pushed when the people I worked with needed digital files, ASAP no waiting for scans

Ian
Old 24th February 2020, 10:44 AM
Friend

Thank you for the information on pushing xp2+ Ian, is it just a matter of adding 15 seconds for every stop increase onto the 3 mins 15 secs C41 development time?

Rob, I like the photographs you have posted you have captured the conditions I am trying to replicate, I will order some HP5+ and give it a go at 800 on dull days.

I am considering mixing some ID68 and using the replenisher. How is this done, do you develop a film eg. Using 250 ml dev + 250mm water 1+1 then pour 10 ml replenisher into the stock and top up to 1 ltr with the used developer?
Have I got this wrong? Do you need to use the developer as stock pour it back into the bottle and add 10% for every film developed up to 10 films?
Old 24th February 2020, 01:53 PM
Friend

You use at full strngth and add 9ml of replenisher after evert 35mm or 120 film processed.

I have the Microphen data sheet from 1982 and that's the recommendation. ID-68 is identical.

Ian
Old 24th February 2020, 01:58 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostlabours View Post
You use at full strngth and add 9ml of replenisher after evert 35mm or 120 film processed.

I have the Microphen data sheet from 1982 and that's the recommendation. ID-68 is identical.

Ian
Thank you Ian.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies