Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome printing techniques

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 26th March 2010, 11:33 AM
Friend

Default Microwave prints

A new way of printing? NO.

A quick way of drying test prints? Yes and for what reason to check dry down tones.

Ansel Adams used to use this method to check tones when he had a print run to do. He would produce two identical prints, leave one in the wash tank and put the other in the micro, then compare them side by side and if need be alter his timings. The one thing he would not do is use this for his final fb prints he did not trust it enough.

I was surprised to read this but does make sense if you need to keep things moving.

Has anyone used this method?

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 26th March 2010, 11:38 AM
Friend

I've not used the method myself as I'd be concerned about damaging the oven. I would certainly put a cup of water in with the print so the oven has a bit of load to work with - you're always warned not to run a microwave empty, and one test strip ain't much of a load for it!

RH Designs darkroom equipment : dalesphoto.co.uk
Old 26th March 2010, 01:31 PM
Friend

I've done this. Take care because if you have the power up too high the test strips catch fire. Been there done that.
They dry to very high gloss and curl like crazy. You need a big microwave to be able to layout a full size print.
Old 26th March 2010, 01:44 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by photomi7ch View Post
A new way of printing? NO.

A quick way of drying test prints? Yes and for what reason to check dry down tones.

Ansel Adams used to use this method to check tones when he had a print run to do. He would produce two identical prints, leave one in the wash tank and put the other in the micro, then compare them side by side and if need be alter his timings. The one thing he would not do is use this for his final fb prints he did not trust it enough.

I was surprised to read this but does make sense if you need to keep things moving.

Has anyone used this method?
I have been using this method of drying test strips and proof prints for more than 20 years, much better than calculating enlarging time adjustments for dry down, I have a dedicated darkroom microwave oven.
Old 26th March 2010, 01:50 PM
Friend

I dry down small strips this way, especially if doing calibration tests. Never had any problems.

Steve
Old 26th March 2010, 02:29 PM
Friend

I used to microwave test strips

Unfortunately, I found that the prints continued to suffer the "dry down" effect for several days after it came out of the microwave oven - so the results were close but not exact.

I now use the Les McLean dry down compensation technique for FB - which is a piece of cake if you have a RH StopClock Pro - as it does all the maths for you.

For RC, I just knock off a 1/12 of a stop from the final wet print exposure.

Martin
Old 26th March 2010, 04:37 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanannan View Post
I have been using this method of drying test strips and proof prints for more than 20 years, much better than calculating enlarging time adjustments for dry down, I have a dedicated darkroom microwave oven.
The benefit of calculating the dry down factor is that you need only do it once every year to check that the manufacturer has not changed the characteristics of the paper. Thereafter, you simply apply the dry down factor for the paper you are using and you have the final print without messing with the microwave every time you make a print. Another factor to take into account when using the microwave is that some papers are warmer in tone when speed dried.
Old 26th March 2010, 06:51 PM
Friend

Interesting, I normaly microwave my colour chemicals to bring them up to tempreture. But I've not tried it on test strips yet.
Old 26th March 2010, 06:56 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben H View Post
Interesting, I normaly microwave my colour chemicals to bring them up to tempreture. But I've not tried it on test strips yet.
Here's a tip: If you find ash in the oven; reduce the time slightly.
Old 26th March 2010, 08:08 PM
Friend

Hahaha, that's what happen to my popadoms last night!
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies