Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - small format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 23rd June 2010, 07:34 PM
Friend

Default Camera advice on the Olympus OM series for a film novice

Hi
Ive been thinking of trying out film photography, previously Ive been using digital , but looking at some of film photographers work and reading about the film process so thought Id give it a try and see how it goes.

Im currently a student so finances are not so great but a a friend has a an interesting idea of looking at the Olympus OM 35 mm series cameras because I could actually use some of the lenses on my digital system which intrigued me .

I predominately like doing landscape work so like wide lenses, Ive read a few resources such as http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography.../om1/index.htm

So would appreciate any thoughts on which of the versions on OM system I should be looking at and what kind of price range I would be looking at. If you have any other 35mm camera suggestions from other makes or any general thoughts/tips they would be greatly appreciated

many thanks

Ori

Old 23rd June 2010, 08:04 PM
Friend

Hello Ori,
I have never used OMs myself but we have quite a few Olympus OM enthusiasts here and I am sure you will get several quality replies to to your question.

Neil.

Neil Souch

Last edited by B&W Neil; 23rd June 2010 at 08:08 PM.
Old 23rd June 2010, 08:21 PM
Friend

Hi Neil,
I had a look at your gallery, its beautiful exactly the reason why I thought Id try film ! I especially like the Inland series
I was interested in the look you have achieved and read the technical section on your site. I have a question , do you decide before or after you take a photo on what you print process you will use ?

Ori
Old 23rd June 2010, 08:39 PM
Friend

I use Olympus OMs for much of my 35mm photography. The best (IMO) are the OM1n and OM2n. The OM1 is totally manual, with the battery only working the 'match-needle' meter. Unfortunately the original mercury cells to power it are unavailable and the modern replacements are a slightly different voltage. Although you can get the cameras modified I simply use a hand-held meter. The OM2 has aperture priority as well a manual and need batteries to work. Forunately it takes the SR44/357 silver-oxide type which are readily available. They are superbly made cameras and the lenses excellent. Some people even find them too contrasty for their taste (shouldn't be a problem for B&W, though!) The OM4 and the ludicrously rare and expensive OM3 are supposedly even better, although I haven't had the chance to use them.

The cheaper OM10 (aperture priority and manual with an adapter) and OM20 were aimed at the amateur market and are OK but not the same quality as the 'single figure' OMs.

Once you start with Olympus OMs you won't want to use anything else!

Rob
Old 23rd June 2010, 08:59 PM
Friend

Hi Rob,
Ive used Olympus from the other side as you might say (digital), so Ive been very happy with the cameras Ive used so far . I looked at the http://www.mir.com.my site which was very helpful. The Om1n and OM2n you mention appear to be what Im looking for

One of the reasons I want to try film is to develop my (non-existent !) light metering skills and have a go at film developing so not having a on board camera meter wouldnt be deal breaker.

In your opinion what would be a decent price I would be looking at for a body only OM1n or OM2n in average/good condition ?. Looking at the web the prices I realise now what you meant about the OM4's !. Its a strange feeling coming from digital how cameras getting older appears to me to raise the price of the camera exactly the opposite of what Im used to !

Ori

Ps I came acoss this on ebay, what on EARTH is this ?!?! Ive never seen anything like it !
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rare-Olympus-O...#ht_500wt_1154

and i also noticed the price as you pointed out earlier !
Old 23rd June 2010, 09:17 PM
Friend

That's a 250 shot film back for the om, You've got to be busy to go though one of those! I use om cameras too, you should not discount the double digit cameras as well the om40 is a nice one to use, provided you get a good one or can send it back, some have been known to battery drain issues, one of mine is fine but one is not but then it only cost £5 on ebay so I'm not too fussed.. Mainly I use an om2-sp and om1-n as a second body.The spot meter in the 2-sp comes in very handy for using with the bronica ect.
Old 23rd June 2010, 09:20 PM
Friend

Some handy links..
http://olympus.dementia.org/eSIF/om-sif.htm

http://web.archive.org/web/200703110...ts/default.htm
Old 23rd June 2010, 10:35 PM
Friend

I Have some OM1 & 2s for sale if your interested - picked up for the lenses attached to them which I use with an OM3.
As already mentioned the OM10 and 40 are very good if you're on a tight budget and can, if you're lucky and patient, be had for just a few pounds.
Old 24th June 2010, 06:11 AM
Friend

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orinoco View Post
Hi Neil,
I had a look at your gallery, its beautiful exactly the reason why I thought Id try film ! I especially like the Inland series
I was interested in the look you have achieved and read the technical section on your site. I have a question , do you decide before or after you take a photo on what you print process you will use ?

Ori
Hi Ori,

Many thanks for your kind comments about our web site.

"do you decide before or after you take a photo on what you print process you will use ?"

Yes indeed we always go to a location with a set aim in mind and the equipment with us to do the job. Mostly it works that way but obviously every now and again we change our minds at the printing stage.

Back to topic

I see you are getting some quality responses from our Olympus users which I am sure will be of great value to you. You can't beat having this type of advice which has been built up over years of experience in using the cameras.

When you have obtained your OM equipment don't forget to keep us updated and post some images as well.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 24th June 2010, 08:01 AM
Friend

Hi Ori

I've been an OM user for many years. I started with an OM10 (which I still have but haven't used for years), progressing through OM-2n, OM-2SP, OM-4 and OM-4Ti. I recently bought an OM-2n body as I missed the original one which got damaged beyond repair - the 2SP was the insurance replacement as by then the 2n was discontinued.

Beware battery life issues with the OM-2SP and the OM-4, they will often consume batteries quite quickly. This problem doesn't affect the 4Ti.

If you're starting out and are used to the E-series DSLRs then an OM-4Ti will look reasonably familiar - it has similar spot and centre-weighted metering and the LCD viewfinder readout is horizontal below the frame like an E-620. But they still command a higher price than earlier models. I think the best value is probably the OM-2n, a professional quality job with accurate metering and auto-exposures up to several minutes. I picked mine up from Ffordes a year ago for £85.

Lens-wise you can hardly go wrong with the Zuikos. The 24mm f2.8 is a great landscape lens, and the 35-105 zoom is an excellent all rounder. The faster Zuikos fetch high prices but the slower range are light and compact making it easy to carry a selection on a hike for instance.

Good luck with your search .

RH Designs darkroom equipment : dalesphoto.co.uk

Tags
beginner, olympus, om system
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies