Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 2nd May 2016, 10:01 AM
Friend

Default Ebay prices

Is it me or has second hand analogue cameras , lens etc suddenly become vastly overpriced on ebay
Even the japs have pushed the prices up on contax, nikon and mamiya
One ebayer wanted nearly a hundred quid for an old nikon fe
I have seen prices creep up for a few years now, but had not looked at old equipment prices on there for a couple of years so when i bought the nikon 28mm ais crc lens i noticed the price hike on nearly everything
Surely the sell by date must be coming up for ebay and hopefully a new less greedy online market place will push it out for good
Paddy
Old 2nd May 2016, 12:02 PM
Friend

yes noticed it as well, been looking on and off for a 6x6 med format and for anything worthwhile bidding on the prices have rocketed.
Old 2nd May 2016, 01:29 PM
Friend

Pushing eBay out isn't going to lead to any improvement, as it's the buyers and sellers who set the prices, not eBay itself.
Old 2nd May 2016, 01:58 PM
Friend

Aye, prices are high. But as said people must be buying....
Old 2nd May 2016, 02:33 PM
Friend

I have no evidence for this and it is probably not the kind of evidence that is obtainable but I too have the feeling that prices on e-bay reflect a kind of a "try-on" by sellers.

Certainly the days of bargains in second-hand paper have vanished. Quite the reverse. If I have old Agfa paper then I can charge more because old Agfa paper has a cache despite the problems associated with old paper. Old paper or old film are not quite the same as old masters in the art world

Mike

Mike
Old 2nd May 2016, 03:21 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Pushing eBay out isn't going to lead to any improvement, as it's the buyers and sellers who set the prices, not eBay itself.

If something is overpriced it won't sell. If someone lists an old Nikon FE for £100 then that doesn't mean it's worth £100, or that anyone will pay £100. Market forces, supply and demand will dictate prices on eBay just like they do and have done everywhere else since the dawn of time. If anything eBay could be seen as a fairer indication of values as it is not subject to any price fixing like retailers can and have undertaken in the past.

If you do an ebay search on an item you want and search for "sold items" you get a more realistic idea of what things are fetching at the moment.

Obviously we all know you can often find your next lens of camera for cheaper from a decent dealer, with warranty, then you can from some random punter on eBay. But on the other hand for odd esoteric or extremely niche items eBay can be an absolute godsend
Old 2nd May 2016, 04:26 PM
Friend

I think that a lot of sellers, and some buyers, who don't know much about photography or photographic equipment value will sell and buy at inflated prices believing that they are ''Collecters'', and that film cameras. these days are ''Old and collectable'' a lot of them don't know the value, believing that nobody uses this stuff today, at the same time their are bargains to be found out there, just as an instance, I have a Agfa ambi sillette outfit. camera and 35 and 90mm lenses, there is a 130 lens out there but it is as rare as rocking horse dropping, almost mythical. the 2 dealers I deal with for cameras have seen 1 in 10 years of dealing, and that was without the additional finder and case, the second has never had one in stock, A week ago we went to a car boot, this one seller had an ambi, a 90mm lens and, I still remember almost chocking when I saw it, a 150mm Agfa Telinear lens, complete with the outfit case for the lens and, tucked away in the top the wonderful 130 viewfinder, The lens was mint, looked almost unused, not a mark on it, worth a lot of wonga, I asked him about it, tenner the lot, not worth more, he said after all, you will never use it, everything is digital these days, he insisted, they don't make film any more, and he said he had had the camera for months, can't sell it, so I gave him the tenner, took the camera and lenses, once I had paid for it I said I might as well try it, took a roll of film out of my pocket and took a snap of the look on the guys face,The camera works perfectly, the 90 mm has a tiny fungus spot, but I have another one, but the prize is the mint 130, not a mark on the barrel, glass unmarked, lens caps there outfit case looks like it was made yesterday. A bargain indeed,

Richard
Old 2nd May 2016, 04:26 PM
Friend

Default Ebay can be addictive.

I often see expired film sell for more than or close to what fresh film can be purchased for, makes me wonder if people are switched on when they bid. There seems to be certain lenses and cameras that have a cult status that fetch silly prices. I use a Nikon F80 with a nikon 35mm lens on it when hill walking. I have three F8os now one was kindly given to me by a fellow FADU friend which I used for spares ( thank you Peter). The other two I bought on Ebay for less than £20 each. They are very "plasticky" but at those prices you can afford to replace them if they break. F80s have a brilliant exposure meter that is rarely fooled, loads of "bells and whistles" and they are really light in weight. I also have two Minolta 7000i cameras that I bought for less than £5 each including the lenses, Minoltas' must be the cheapest 35mm cameras on Ebay despite them being very capable cameras. It must be good for the future of film if most of the gear sold on Ebay gets used. I must admit I "dipped my bread in" and "fussied myself up" 15-20 years ago when "film was dead" and film cameras were "a thing of the past".
Old 2nd May 2016, 04:45 PM
Friend

In general prices have been rising, but there's also a big rise in BIN listings at prices way over the usual going rate.

It depends what the items are as well and also demand. I do very well buying on ebay but I set a price I'll bid to and don't go over it.

So a Gandolfi made Half plate camera with a tripod & lens for £30 was a bargain last month, and a 12x10 camera for £50 another. Then there's the £30 new 120mm f6.8 Dagor from 1913 which has never been fitted to a camera or lens board, the Compound shutter works like it's just left the factory 1003 years later.

It take patience and sometimes a slight gamble, like the Ibsor shutter I bought two weeks ago, I'd assumed it was smaller than it is and bought it to replace a failing shutter, to my surprised it's modern #1 fit and is new again never been used, aperture scale is blank, a bargain for under £7.

I've haggled with BIN prices and had a good price reductions, it pays to have a good idea what something is really worth.

Ian
Old 2nd May 2016, 06:31 PM
Friend

The yanks anoy me as well
Selling something listed in the uk market way over the odds (they must think we are stupid)
It might help if ebay and paypal reduce their fee,s as well, but people would still sell their items at the same price
You get the feeling these sellers on ebay think the worlds supply of manual analogue cameras is about to dissapear
The bargains are getting a bit harder to find these days
Paddy
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies