Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 14th February 2021, 11:44 AM
Friend

Default How good is your German?

I have been enlightened, see

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iW_iBmUC_Xc&t=106s
Old 14th February 2021, 02:45 PM
Friend

The correct pronunciation of "ch" at the end of any German word is very familiar to a Scot. A lot of the North East dialect in Scotland, known as "the Doric" is based on Anglo Saxon so has broadly Germanic language roots. Some words are even identical. Acht is eight in Doric as it is in German

The guy in the video does a number of analogue photography videos with idiomatically correct English that is as clear as any of a native English speaker I have heard.

Mike
Old 14th February 2021, 04:09 PM
Friend

flippin eck I can only speak cockney ,but German that's like another bloomin language
Old 14th February 2021, 04:15 PM
Friend

Default Ich Sprechen Deutch aber nur langsam. Danke.

One point on pronunciation is, the letter 'i' is always pronounced as 'e' and vice versa. Sometimes it is a struggle to get your tongue around those words.

The chap in the video certainly speaks better English than I do German. I learned enough to carry out my duties in Germany when I was in the Army, but not enough to hold and in depth conversation. It takes me a day or two to get up to speed when I travel over there on holiday. After that I am OK.

There again different regions of the German speaking race (Germany, Austria and parts of Switzerland) have different inflections and emphasis on sounds. Pretty well the same as we have with Geordie, Scouse, Welsh, Cockney or West country and many others.

Also a German speaking English may have a different accent with more than a tinge of American if they come from the zone which was administered by the US Forces after the war. The English accent does not seem to have made such an impression.

(Translation of the title above. I speak German but only slowly. Thanks)

Last edited by John King; 14th February 2021 at 04:23 PM.
Old 14th February 2021, 04:52 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
One point on pronunciation is, the letter 'i' is always pronounced as 'e' and vice versa. Sometimes it is a struggle to get your tongue around those words.
Further to this point, if it's "ei" in a word, it's pronounced as in Leica, or Schneider. If it were "ie" it would sound like "Leeka" or "Schneeder".

(I grew up in a German-speaking house, and still speak it, so I'm not being a smartarse here )
Old 14th February 2021, 08:49 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svend View Post
Further to this point, if it's "ei" in a word, it's pronounced as in Leica, or Schneider. If it were "ie" it would sound like "Leeka" or "Schneeder".

(I grew up in a German-speaking house, and still speak it, so I'm not being a smartarse here )
A good example is "Rhein Riesling" (my other hobby is wine).
Old 14th February 2021, 09:44 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocky View Post
A good example is "Rhein Riesling" (my other hobby is wine).
Good one! I'll have to remember that

And that reminds me that I haven't had a German wine in ages. Time to get reacquainted.
Old 15th February 2021, 06:38 PM
Friend

Take a Mosel Riesling, preferably from Wiltingen (river Saar) or Kasel (stream Ruwer). :-)
Thanks for the video. Indeed, it's often simply about pronounciation, finding similarities to known sounds. The Umlaute are tricky. I recommend the training advised by James Cagney in Billy Wilder's "One, two, three". :-)
Old 15th February 2021, 07:37 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanFrank View Post
Take a Mosel Riesling, preferably from Wiltingen (river Saar) or Kasel (stream Ruwer). :-)
For sure -- Mosel are more to my taste over the Rheinhessen and Pfalz style. I like the Baden wines too.

I'll have to look for that Cagney bit. Sounds like fun :-)
Old 15th February 2021, 08:02 PM
Friend

My brother and I camped in Trittenheim in the summer of 1962. If I could get the time back, I'd do it again.

We also spent time in Bad Kreuznach on that trip. I wish I'd been more clued up.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies