Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome printing techniques

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 27th May 2011, 08:45 PM
Friend

Default Print size to paper size

I have been printing using the full size of the paper with a small white border but having seen prints that have the image printed smaller with a large white border that looks really nice and balanced. I was wondering is there a ratio of print to paper size or is it a personal thing. I was wondering how others use the print to paper size.
Old 27th May 2011, 09:06 PM
Friend

It is obviously a personal thing but I do like prints with a large area of the of the paper as a border. I prefer to have at least an inch of paper around the image, but often prefer more.

Shame they can't coat paper and leave a border uncoated to save on silver costs.

Neil
Old 27th May 2011, 09:16 PM
Friend

I like around an inch of border around my prints, and I very often print full frame, so My prints tend to be smaller on the paper,but I like the look, it is a case of what you like,
Richard
Old 27th May 2011, 09:16 PM
Friend

I thought it would be a personal thing as when I have shown prints with a wide border that I have liked the look of, my friends at my camera club they have commented on the border being to wide. The standard way is to have a wider border at the bottom than the top and sides of a print but would this be the same for square prints
Old 27th May 2011, 09:24 PM
Friend

I too tend to favour wide white boarders around unmounted prints. However when matted under a window mount I usually have about half-inch boarder left and right and slightly more at the top and even more at the bottom. I also think this works well for square prints, but it really is a matter of taste.
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 28th May 2011, 11:46 AM
Friend

I tend to favour small borders(3-4mm) such as you get with the Paterson fixed 5x7 easel and not more than about 10mm with 8x10s. Postcards look better with even smaller borders as they always had when people used to send B&W postcards.

The downside is that unless being handled carefully there is a likelihood of fingermarks on the print. This can be especially a problem with glossy surfaces. Less so with pearl or lustre and almost of no consequence with Ilford satin which is impervious to marks of this kind - one of the benefits to a satin finish.

Mike
Old 28th May 2011, 02:43 PM
Friend

Prints that I intend to be matted (usually on 12x16) will be given a 2cm border on the top and sides, the base may be more depending on the format of the print. Quite a few of my Print Exchange prints are printed 7”x5” in the middle of a 10”x8” sheet the reason being that a copy will also be made for my PPC entry which has a limit of a 7”x5” print.
Old 1st June 2011, 07:17 AM
Friend

yes, a border of two-three cm is what I usually do now, thus you don't need to touch the image with sweaty fingers, and there is room for a signature.
This takes me to a question: what kind of pencil do you use when signing? I had one of those which write on CDs but I find it writes to big and too black.
Peter
Old 1st June 2011, 07:27 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlg View Post
yes, a border of two-three cm is what I usually do now, thus you don't need to touch the image with sweaty fingers, and there is room for a signature.
This takes me to a question: what kind of pencil do you use when signing? I had one of those which write on CDs but I find it writes to big and too black.
Peter
Peter, FWIW I now use one of these, when writing directly on the print, I favour the 0.03mm, very fine, archival and permanent.
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 2nd June 2011, 11:16 AM
Friend

I've recently been printing 7x5 images onto 10x8 paper matting with a black coloured 10x8 board with an cut aperture to 8x6 showing showing 1/2inch white paper boarder around my print and framing with a silver/brushed aluminium frame. This gives a well balance print and looks visually most pleasing.

Since I got into matting and framing my work, I really embrace leaving some of the white paper boarders showing. Somehow it enhances the photograph.

Anyone else tried black matboard and white paper boarders? I hear off white matting is the norm but maybe I'm just different!
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies