Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 5th January 2020, 10:02 AM
Friend

I was really hoping for more lith printing materials as all that's left and readily available on the market is the Fomatone range. At least we still have that...
Doesn't seem like lith is any priority in the PWII project - I guess for now they are trying to get a decent warmtone paper to the market. Which - if it doesn't lith - will have a hard time to compete with the existing, excellent warmtone papers. We'll see how it works and tones - even MCC seems to have changed since the early days when they brought it back - with regard to lith and toning. But let's see, I'll get a box to play with it once it's available - as will many. The proof of its success will be whether or not people order a second and a third box...
Old 5th January 2020, 10:59 AM
Friend

I will definitely give the new Polywarmtone a try and I hope it tones as good as the original. Pity if it doesn't lith but if tones well that alone would make me a regular buyer.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 5th January 2020, 11:47 AM
Friend

Although I have not used Lith printing for many years, since they took the cadmium out of Fomatone, according to Foma their new Retro brom fixed grade paper liths well, I don't know if it is available here yet, but for Lith printers it might be worth trying, just seen that the Retro brom is available from Process Supplies
Richard

Last edited by Richard Gould; 5th January 2020 at 11:50 AM. Reason: availablity
Old 6th January 2020, 01:02 PM
Friend

If anyone wants to get some stock of the adox mcc 110 paper I have just ordered some from Firstcall, who have just today reciivied some new stock
Richard
Old 6th January 2020, 02:42 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Gould View Post
Although I have not used Lith printing for many years, since they took the cadmium out of Fomatone, according to Foma their new Retro brom fixed grade paper liths well, I don't know if it is available here yet, but for Lith printers it might be worth trying, just seen that the Retro brom is available from Process Supplies
Richard

Richard,

Thanks for this - if it liths it should also bromoil so it could be a very welcome new paper.

I will make a note to buy some soon and give it a go. I will also contact the Bromoil Circle Secretary (Brian) to see if he knows anything.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 18th February 2020, 07:28 PM
Friend

Hi,
On Feb 4th Mirko Böddecker of Adox announced on his own lab forum at Fotoimpex that Adox had to stop MCC & MCP papers after a supplier increased prices too much to bear with. But they plan to bring back MCC and MCP in their own factories in Germany and Switzerland, though firstly the projects with Polywarmtone and Lupex have to be finished. Main problem in general is to get good chemists for the job.
Best, Frank
Old 18th February 2020, 10:12 PM
Administrator

I understand that Fotoimpex are currently advertising for a chemist.
Old 18th February 2020, 10:14 PM
Friend

I received the Tim Rudman newsletter over the weekend and he gives some bad news which the "lithers" here may know anyway, namely that Fotospeed LD 20 lith developer has been discontinued and stocks are now difficult to get but he gives some good news in that Foma Retrobrom SP is the "new kid on the block replacing Foma Variant

On Foma's site there are comparison between its papers that lith and with the Moersch Easylith developer the Retrobrom SP does a good job in my eyes compared to LD 20

So all is not lost. No mention of whether Ilford MGIV liths but while it is reported that it tones OK, I suspect it may not lith very well. I base this on there being no mention of it in Tim's recent letter. However it could be that he covered this in an earlier newsletter as MGIV has been out for sometime now

Mike
Old 20th February 2020, 06:19 PM
Friend

Ilford also told that getting young chemists is the most important part of keeping the production going in the long run. Good chemists can earn much more elsewhere than in the very small photo film industry.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies