Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > Negative Printing Exchange

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 5th February 2022, 11:28 AM
Friend

Today I dound a large letter in my mail box. I opened it and was fascinated: Colin has worked out my negative of a secession style building in a very different way: It is full colored! Because the scene is light an airy, adding colr to the print was a fine idea.

My wife likes it too. Thank you very much. I am looking forward to the next negative exchange.
Old 6th February 2022, 04:43 PM
Friend

Thank you for posting the images Uwe.

When I received Uwe's negative I immediately made a straight, full frame print just to judge the material. Whilst it was sitting on the mantlepiece for a couple of weeks I started looking at Leipzig on Google Street view, and discovered it a is a beautiful and colourful city. The decision to hand-colour was taken early, particularly as this was one of those things 'I'll try someday'.
I made a few prints on Ilford MG Matt FB, at Grade 2 and a half. with just a little dodging lower right corner of the print. It was a well exposed negative very easy to work with.
I then tried some watercolours I had waiting in the darkroom. Really awful. Lots of brush marks and very uneven colour.
Our friend Google then steered me towards Marshall's Photo Oil Colours. They're American and little tricky to source in the UK, but I found a set. The instructions suggested that it was easier to work on Sepia or warm-tone prints. Second batch of prints made, and toned in Fotospeed Sepia.
The Phot Oils are applied with cotton swabs, and worked until any streaks vanish. There's also a 'correcting solution' to clean up any stray colour. The final step is to apply a varnish to both seal and protect the print, but it also evens out the surface reflectivity of the print.
Unfortunately, even after a week of drying some of the colour lifted off when I varnished the print. Those curtains you can see in the big windows were a lovely burgundy. Oops.

When I opened Uwe's print I noticed he had cropped slightly. He lost the visible sky across the top of the frame, and pulled tighter on either side. I used the whole frame, as I wanted to retain as much as possible of the two figures in the plasterwork.
I also noticed, but only after looking a couple of times, that Uwe has his name embossed in the corner of the print!
How did you do that Uwe?
Old 7th February 2022, 05:16 AM
Friend

> Uwe has his name embossed in the corner of the print! How did you do that Uwe?

I have some kind of embossing punch or embossing stamp. I don't know the correct English term. You may buy such a thing, it is not too expansive.
Old 7th February 2022, 09:15 AM
Friend

The embossing is a lovely touch Uwe. There if you look for it, but not intrusive. I've was never very comfortable signing the overmat when I used to sell some prints, but this looks better to me.
Old 7th February 2022, 12:58 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwe Pilz View Post
> Uwe has his name embossed in the corner of the print! How did you do that Uwe?

I have some kind of embossing punch or embossing stamp. I don't know the correct English term. You may buy such a thing, it is not too expansive.
I used to have an embosser punch with my name and address on it, when starting out in the 1970's.

Just quickly googling came up with this product, to help you understand it all a bit better, but I'm sure there are lots of other companies out there in the UK that do them. This link is abroad somewhere - probably China, based on the dispatch / receipt dates given:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3306...9b9f3e0a183834

Terry S
Old 7th February 2022, 01:28 PM
Friend

Thanks Terry.
Every day is a school day as they say.
Old 7th February 2022, 04:14 PM
Administrator

Companies in the UK normally have seals that are embossed on important company papers using a small punch and die holder. You can get them for around 25 to 50 beer tokens with your choice of image/text.
Old 9th February 2022, 02:58 PM
Friend

Mine finally went in the post today. sorry for the delay - exacerbated by a broken shoulder and closed post offices!
Old 9th February 2022, 03:01 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Archer View Post
Mine finally went in the post today. sorry for the delay - exacerbated by a broken shoulder and closed post offices!
No worries Rob. Post is slow around here at the moment, with a large amount of posties off with covid, so it'll get here when it does. I'll let you know when it arrives.

I hope your injuries are fixing slowly?

Terry S
Old 13th February 2022, 04:41 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Archer View Post
And received Rob.

I will scan the prints and make comments in the next day or two.

And it's good to see you using the envelope that I sent to you with my bits in, as I'm a big recycler!

Terry S
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies