Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 16th February 2022, 08:19 AM
Friend

Hi John
I<y last bottle of Adox, which was a while ago, turned dark brown byy the end, I have just opened a bew bottle which is already going dark, as did Agfa Rodinal, \i have been using the RO9/one shot soft pac version for a long time, which I believe to be the same as Agfa, and that also turnsdark brown/black by the end
Richard
Old 16th February 2022, 03:08 PM
Friend

> you should not do with Rodinal is use constant agitation, (Rotary) that destroys the adjacency effect for which it is famed.

That is not true. You may use continious agitation as I do and you get a good adjacency effect.It is very clear from the chemical viewpoint, but there exist really measurings from Richard J Henry.

Henry was a retired analytical chemist. He could buy a lot of measuring instruments form his company. In the years of his retirement, he measured everything what could be measured in bw photography. His book Controls in black and white photography is a very useful source. Material may be outdated, but the effect remain the same. If you try to buy it lock for second edition.

I give a few sentences form his book, p. 214. Henry's machine mixer was the kind used in chemical laboratories. You cannot reach this rigorous degree of agitation with manual means.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	henry.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	4364  

Last edited by Uwe Pilz; 16th February 2022 at 03:11 PM.
Old 16th February 2022, 06:04 PM
Friend

Sorry Uwe, I will stick with Agfa's definition and instructions should I ever go back to using Rodinal.
Old 16th February 2022, 07:45 PM
Friend

I wonder if Schwalberg did a similar test with equally good measuring instruments and found his results to be different?

Mike
Old 16th February 2022, 08:35 PM
Friend

I guess it's time to answer a few questions.35mm negatives are generally well exposed using my Minolta X-500, but 120 film is a bit more like guesswork at times with my Flexaret VI. I love Rodinal or, to be more accurate Foma's R09, because I tend to photograoh in spurts and months may pass between developing films and the old bottle of Rodinal never expires and I'm a tight-fisted curmudgeon. For the time being, I think I'll carry on with the 1:50 dilution.
Old 16th February 2022, 08:51 PM
Friend

gain sorry Uwe, but I completely disagree with the above,in the last imfo leaflet that came with a bottle of Agfa rodinal, from around 82 or 3 thay amend to gentle agitation fort 1 minite then 2 or 3 gentle inversions every 30 seconds I have done up to 6 gentle inversions every minute, which does work as well, but when I have experimented with vigorous agitation the edge effect is very much reduced, and I imagine with continuous agitation the effect would be lost, Agfa always states gentle agitation needed for Rodinal, and after 50+years I agree with them
Richard
Old 18th February 2022, 11:19 AM
Friend

I get clear adjacency effects with BarryThornton's two-bath developer if I do minimal agitation in the second bath (invert every 15 s for first min, then every min thereafter), but not if I invert every 15s throughout. In this case, the developer is in the emulsion (from bath 1) and the alkali is in the surrounding liquid (bath 2). I may be wrong, but I don't think this really bears out what Uwe's source is saying?

http://www.allmyeye.co.uk
Old 20th February 2022, 10:03 AM
Friend

It's time for some embarrasment emoticons. I mixed up my Foma R09 as always, noting some significant floculent precipitation when I diluted 1:50 and went ahead. Nett result, totally clear 120 film as if not exposed. Time to try a new bottle to see if it's gone off. Maybe not used in 6 months.
Old 20th February 2022, 12:28 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Rick View Post
It's time for some embarrasment emoticons. I mixed up my Foma R09 as always, noting some significant floculent precipitation when I diluted 1:50 and went ahead. Nett result, totally clear 120 film as if not exposed. Time to try a new bottle to see if it's gone off. Maybe not used in 6 months.
This has happened to a number of us, including myself!

I now, (and recommend it highly) put a strip of film into the diluted developer to see if it turns black. This lets you know the developer is working at least, and can avoid totally blank films, as you have experienced.

I just hope there were no unrepeatable shots on the film?

Terry S
Old 21st February 2022, 12:17 PM
Friend

Uwe's quote compares constant agitation with quite frequent agitation. Those of us looking for adjacency effects use far, far less agitation.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies