Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome printing techniques

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 7th March 2022, 08:19 AM
Friend

Default Fomabrom Graded

Hi Guys,

Do any of you have experience with Fomabrom graded FB papers? I had some great times with Efke Emaks graded in the past and although I have a dichro head on one enlarger and a set of under the lens MG filters for the second one, I'm tempted to try some of the grade papers. Thanks.
Old 7th March 2022, 08:52 AM
Friend

I've been using Foma Retrobrom and really like it. I initially bought it to make lith prints but it doesn't lith as well as I expected. It's a very warm-tone paper which dries to a greenish tint which I don't really like. A few minutes in selenium toner though and it goes a lovely, warm brown. Definitely one to experiment with. I'll post some scans later.
Old 7th March 2022, 08:56 AM
Friend

A couple of the more successful lith prints on Retrobrom: http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...pictureid=5194 ;http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...pictureid=5187

Last edited by Rob Archer; 7th March 2022 at 09:00 AM.
Old 7th March 2022, 09:02 AM
Friend

Thanks Rob, lovely photo. Yes, Retrobrom is their latest addition. However when I learned about it from Foma's web site I was put off by the green-yellow tint: https://www.fotoimpex.com/shop/image...ry/65815_3.jpg
Old 7th March 2022, 12:43 PM
Friend

I use Fomabrom N111 rather often, mostly hard, sometimes normal. It is a good paper and reminds me the old Orwo papers of my younger days.

I have some sheets of Retrobrom too, and thought using it for Lith works. But I read here they don't lith very well. Nevertheless, I try it.
Old 7th March 2022, 01:13 PM
Friend

Hi Uwe, Retrobrom (special/Sp) seems quite a bit softer in comparison to the standard Fomabrom N (normal) as I read from the technical sheets; ISO R 110 vs 80. What is your impression, are they indeed one an a half grade apart?
Old 7th March 2022, 01:33 PM
Friend

I did not compare the papers in the same session. But yes, it is slightly softer.

"Normal" in graded papers is harder than unfiltered grade multigrade. More around 3. I guess Retrobrom is closer to unfiltered multigrade paper.
Old 9th March 2022, 07:57 PM
Friend

I just used some (my last) sheets of Retrobrom. It is really soft.

If a graded paper is too soft for a sujet, I usual print it slightly lighter and tone afterwards, Selenium.
With Retrobrom that does ot work. The darks does not get darker. Instead of this, the print gets really brownish. I never saw a paper with suc an effect. If I had a different e, it was always closer to aubergine.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies