Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Equipment miscellaneous

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 7th June 2022, 09:51 AM
Friend

Default Olympus T20 Flash

I recently bought a couple of Olympus T20 flashguns and the Olympus synch leads and fittings.
They are to be used with the Olympus OM2n camera.
The camera manual says "All their functions are controlled directly by the OM-2 to perform extremely easy, yet highly accurate flash exposures."

When using the flash and correct synch lead a red light glows in the viewfinder to indicate the flash is charged and ready.
After exposure, if a red light flickers briefly in the viewfinder, it tells you correct exposure has taken place.

I have been playing around to get the hang of it all and thought the units were faulty.
The lights failed to flicker no matter what settings I tried on the camera and flash guns.

In desperation I loaded a dummy film. Success!
The light flickers, all is well.

The camera metering is probably reading off the film plane and requires film to read correctly.

I hope this is of interest to any Olympus OM2n owners out there.

So put a dummy film in when getting the feel of the flash handling .

Cheers.

Last edited by Nat Polton; 7th June 2022 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Pelling
Old 8th June 2022, 07:47 AM
Friend

Good advice!
Indeed it's related to the off-the-film metering of the camera.
With higher speeds, the sensors will meter off the pattern that's on the shutter curtain. But at slower speeds (I guess including the sync speed), the camera will meter off the film surface. And with no film loaded it's mostly black that the sensors see.
I'm told that there used to be a gray card included with these cameras when they were new, which you could put on the film plane for testing purposes. As I was only a toddler when these cameras came out, I've never seen them myself.

Same goes for testing the Aperture Priority mode of the camera without flash and in low light, without a film inside the shutter will stay open for much much longer!
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies