Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 9th June 2022, 11:18 AM
Friend

Question Translyte RC paper dryer

Does anyone know where I can have my paper dryer repaired?

I tripped over and dropped it and it is now not working.
Old 9th June 2022, 12:03 PM
Friend

I think I have something similar, but a Durst(?) branded one and just checking SHD, they show the model you have to be very similar to mine:

https://www.secondhanddarkroom.co.uk...-paper-dryer-2

Unfortunately I couldn't find any useful info on google...

If it was mine, I'd be inclined to open it up slowly, and just double check that nothing has come loose, as it doesn't look like there is much inside. If you're not up to that, I'd suggest taking it to a small electrical repairs shop / person, to give it the once over.

Sorry I can't help anymore Keith.

Terry S
Old 9th June 2022, 02:47 PM
Administrator

I concur with Terry - take it apart and see if anything has come adrift. It is going to be made from a switch or two, a fan, a heater element and a mechanical thermostat (possibly included in the heater unit). Check the heater element if you can see it - heater elements are quite brittle.

If any of your friends/family have any electrical knowledge they should at least be able to determine where the error is and, although I'm sure original parts are no longer available, may be able to source suitable replacement parts as they will be fairly generic items. The tricky item is likely to be a suitable sized and rated heater unit.
Old 9th June 2022, 08:24 PM
Friend

Thank you for your replies.
The casing is held together with rivets rather than screws, so I'm not sure how to go about this.
Perhaps a repair shop is the only option.
Old 9th June 2022, 09:30 PM
Administrator

If they are pop-rivets, then you should be able to drill them out - but you will need a pop-rivet gun to fit new rivets afterwards (unless self-tapping screws can be made to work, or even use a nut and bolt - you can hold the nut on the inside with a drop of superglue or epoxy). Least hassle would be to use a pop-rivet gun for under a tenner with a selection of rivets on ebay.

Good luck finding a general electrical repair shop these days - especially at a low enough cost to make it financially worthwhile - but if you know one near you then that sounds like your best bet if you take it apart and the issue isn't obvious. Check any fuses that are accessible, including the plug - you never know your luck!
Old 13th June 2022, 01:24 PM
Friend

Thanks Bob, I will try and get it fixed after my return from holiday later this month
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies