Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > Negative Printing Exchange

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 3rd February 2022, 10:40 PM
Friend

Default Negative Printing Exchange Round 7

Expressions of interest from members wishing to participate in the next round of this exchange are now welcome.
For those unfamiliar with the exchange it is an opportunity to see a negative of your own printed by a fellow member, and in turn to receive from them to print yourself. It brings the challenge of interpreting an image which you have never seen before, with no knowledge of the author's own intentions.

The exchange will operate as follows:

1. Post in this thread if you wish to participate. Also send a PM to me with your full postal address. I may already have this, but I'll contact anyone who forgets to message me.

2. After the closing date for expressions of interest has passed I will pair members and notify them by PM. This should happen within 48 hours. We will operate a pairing system, rather than random mixing of participants, to allow the most direct comparison of technique and style. If the number of participants is odd I will be wild card to make an even number for pairing.

3. Participants should select a negative to submit, and make their own print from it. Participants will be sending BOTH items.

4. For this exchange negatives should be full frame 35mm format.

5. The chosen negative should be safely packaged. The print should be placed in a sealed inner envelope, then both negative and print placed in the postal envelope This means that after printing the submitted negative, the recipient can open and view the Author's own version.

6. Participants will receive a negative from a fellow member, and should treat it with care and consideration. All effort should be made to avoid loss or damage. However: by submitting a negative members acknowledge accidents can happen, and post can go astray. Do not submit a negative if its loss would be upsetting.

7. The negative you receive can be printed in any way you like. Cropping, paper type, toning, alternative process, anything is fair game. On completing your print, return the negative you received to your exchange partner. Pack it as safely as it was sent to you. Along with the negative send the print you made from it. You in turn will receive back your own negative and a print made from it.

8. By completion, every member will have their own negative back along with a new version of it printed by their partner.

9. The aim of the exchange is to stimulate discussion of print techniques and methods: a gallery will be opened, and scans of prints posted there. We should end up with 2 versions of each negative from each participant. See here: http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...ex.php/cat/571

General notes.
Aim to find a negative where you yourself see scope for more than one possible interpretation.
This is a 35mm exchange, but there may be members keen to participate who are not 35mm users. Anyone in this position should contact me. I use several formats, as do some other participants from Round 6. It might be possible to identify a pairing for someone who doesn't use 35mm.
The exchange is a creative and hopefully enjoyable venture. Participants who encounter any difficulties over timing should simply PM me to resolve any problems.

Dates for Round 7:
Closing date for expressions of interest- Friday 25-02-22

Date by which participants should send Negative (and own print from it) to partner- 25-03-22

Date to return received negative- 29-04-22

Should any part of the process be unclear, please ask in the thread or by PM. Suggestions for improvement are also welcome at any time.
Good luck everyone.
Old 4th February 2022, 07:38 AM
Friend

I am in.

This is the most interesting exhcange I know.
Old 4th February 2022, 07:47 AM
Friend

Good morning Uwe, good to see you back in. I have details from Round 6.
Old 4th February 2022, 12:49 PM
Friend

Great fun! Put my name down again please.

Terry S
Old 7th February 2022, 05:26 PM
Friend

Good afternoon Terry.
I'm not surprised to see you throw your hat in the ring again. Welcome back to round 7.
Old 8th February 2022, 12:42 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellum View Post
Good afternoon Terry.
I'm not surprised to see you throw your hat in the ring again. Welcome back to round 7.
And thanks so much for organising it again.

Terry S
Old 8th February 2022, 06:02 PM
Friend

Thanks Terry.
I figure if Tony Marlow could manage 110 rounds of the print exchange (many thanks, Tony) I could probably hang in there for a couple more rounds of this.
We'll just have to see what interest it continues to attract. It's a worthwhile venture even if we have just half-a-dozen participants, and it's too early to say if we'll have a core of regulars. The print exchanges peaked (I think) with 19 folk in for Round 100. More usually it seems to be less than 10.
What I wouldn't want to do is draw participants to the neg exchange from the well established Print exchange to its detriment. When setting dates I'll leave longer intervals to exchange here in the hope a relaxed time-scale allows members to participate in both.

If I remember I'll give the thread a weekly bump so less frequent visitors also see it.
Old 18th February 2022, 09:16 AM
Friend

Bumpity-bump!
Old 18th February 2022, 02:37 PM
Print Exchange Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellum View Post
Thanks Terry.
I figure if Tony Marlow could manage 110 rounds of the print exchange (many thanks, Tony) I could probably hang in there for a couple more rounds of this.
We'll just have to see what interest it continues to attract. It's a worthwhile venture even if we have just half-a-dozen participants, and it's too early to say if we'll have a core of regulars. The print exchanges peaked (I think) with 19 folk in for Round 100. More usually it seems to be less than 10.
What I wouldn't want to do is draw participants to the neg exchange from the well established Print exchange to its detriment. When setting dates I'll leave longer intervals to exchange here in the hope a relaxed time-scale allows members to participate in both.

If I remember I'll give the thread a weekly bump so less frequent visitors also see it.
The maximum No of participants in the Print Exchange was 25 in Nov. 2011, Feb. 2013, & Jun. 2014 and the fewest - 6 in Jun. 2016 & May 2017.

Cheers, Mike
Old 18th February 2022, 03:49 PM
Friend

Thank You Mike, I'm impressed that you can retrieve that kind of information.
I joined FADU in december 2011, but I don't think I took part in any of the exchanges until early 2013. FADU seems to have a lot of members, but many have been inactive for a long time. Even some former stalwarts.
I'd be curious (if the MODS could do such a thing) to know just how many active members we have. Perhaps defined as individuals who have posted at least twice in the last 3 months.
You see a lot of threads which start "Hi, I'm new here . . " or "I've just bought an old Pentax, anyone know what this button does . . "
Advice follows but the OP is never seen again.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies