Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 2nd October 2010, 08:21 PM
Friend

Unhappy Damp problems in darkroom causing problems

After setting up the darkroom in my shed, I have discovered that it has serious damp problems. I have known for some months that I have a serious damp issue in the darkroom, and that I will have to repair and damp proof the render on the outside of the shed, but time has been against me doing anything over the summer.
Today I taught my youngest daughter how to load my ETRS and take photographs with it, we then developed the film. This evening I decided to do a couple of prints to show her, but that is when the problems started.
I turned on the Laborator 1200 and found out I could not get it to work, the Multigrade 500 controller unit would not work properly when the touch pad was depressed. When I pressed the focus pad it would cut the safelight as it should, but did not illuminate the lamps, occasionally it would just start counting down exposure as if the exposure button was depressed (again without turning on the lamps). In fact most pads depressed worked randomly, and did things they weren't supposed to do.
I then noticed the Rayco Voltage Unit was making odd noises, which on closer inspection smelled of burning, I realised it has got damp and I think that has killed it. I unplugged the Rayco unit and tried the Multigrade 500 power supply direct to the mains but I still had the same problems with the controller unit. Can anybody shed some light on what might have happened, has the problem with the Rayco Voltage unit killed my Multigrade controller unit?
Just to make matters worse I then plugged in the De Vere to check that, everything was fine when I turned on, but when I turned on the lamp to focus, I heard crackling noises from the power supply ( I have the Gem colour head set up on this ) which I assume is damp again, after a couple of seconds the trip on the RCD activated and cut all power to my darkroom.

Can anybody recommend a repairer for the Voltage Unit and someone who could take a look at the controller unit for the Multigrade 500.

I will have to keep the units in the house till I sort out the damp problem, the darkroom at present is very humid, due to the damp and lack of ventilation. I intended to put a vent in after I fitted my extraction fan, but this is another job which has had to wait, and I think I have paid the price of not sorting out the exterior of the shed before finishing the inside.

Neil
Old 2nd October 2010, 09:05 PM
Friend

Very sad news indeed Neil.

For Durst you could try contacting;
http://www.northernphoto.co.uk/

And for De Vere;
http://www.odyssey-sales.com/

Although it might be possible and a lot cheaper to either let a friendly handyman take a look or even consider replacement.

Best of luck

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 2nd October 2010, 09:31 PM
Friend

Bad luck indeed Neil. I don't use the RAYCO unit with a Durst but have two De Vere 500H heads working fine in my shed on a 504 and a 203. We have a lot of humidity / damp here in West Cornwall and I have had this set up working OK now for four years but I do keep one of those oil-filled electric rads ticking over to raise the inside temperature a tad during cold and damp periods. So far all has been well with no gremlins creeping in. I do hope you can get the problem sorted.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 2nd October 2010, 09:37 PM
Friend

Sorry to hear of your problems, Neil,I also had problems of damp with an outside darkroom a few years ago,Electrical equipment and damp don;t mix and I was forever getting equipment repaired,Luckily we moved a while ago and I am now able to have a darkroom indoors,Richard
Old 2nd October 2010, 09:52 PM
Friend

That's real hard luck, Neil. If it wasn't the internet and I was there with you then I'd be swearing in sympathy. Hopefully the damage isn't as bad as it might appear. Might be worth trying to dry the equipment out with a lot of heat to see if it cures the problem. Longer term here's hoping that the damp problem can be cured. Good insulation and maybe a small amount of background heat may be the answer. You might also want to consider a good dehumidifier as a permanent fixture.

It's rotten luck. You have all my sympathy

Mike
Old 2nd October 2010, 10:14 PM
Friend

Thanks to everyone for all your kind words, Neils mention of an oil filled rad is timely as I was looking at one today in a local shop, with the darkroom in mind. I will probably get one tomorrow as my first step in solving the problem. If I didn't have so much work to finish off, I would hack off the loose and cracked render and re-render this week, followed by waterproofer and a coat of exterior paint. This solved a damp problem I had in the past, but my workload is against me at the moment.

Neil
Old 3rd October 2010, 07:05 AM
Friend

Bad news indeed.
Obviously the solution is to stop the water getting in, as you plan to do; short term I would buy a dehumidifier to help dry the area.
Old 3rd October 2010, 08:55 AM
Friend

I know the problem. Everything gets damp here on the island and I have to take all the consumables out of the darkroom/old peat shed otherwise it all rusts/deteriorates.
Old 3rd October 2010, 11:43 AM
Friend

At present I have an oil filled rad on for the last hour, and I will leave it on most of the day and check later to see if this has helped the De Vere power supply. Dave, I had a look at a dehumidifier when I got the heater and I am still considering this depending on what happens with the heater, but I seem to recall my sister has one and she lives down the road, so I might go and talk nice to her later.

Neil
Old 3rd October 2010, 11:52 AM
Friend

I also have issues with damp in my workshop which has caused problems in the past with electronics. Heating is not an option, nor is a dehumidifier, so I have sprayed all the circuit boards with a "conformal coating". I also have a couple of very large (1/2Kg) bags of silca granules in the cabinets and haven't had any problems for a few years now.

When you get the boxes repaired, it would be worth asking for a similar conformal treatment even if you keep the room heated.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies